Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Lending - Another Sob Story

Tool Lending - Another Sob Story

Aaaaarggg. Today the woman next door had an emergency - her drill/driver had died and she was putting together a new pool table for her teenage sons - a Christmas present. (She didn't ask for help, but I did offer.) So off went my Craftsman drill/driver with an extra battery. She returned it promptly this evening. I went to put it away and noticed she left a hex driver in the chuck. So I'm sure you guessed by now - the driver was stuck in the chuck! The chuck was jambed tight - and the grip was torn up. Obviously an extension was needed but not used.
    So I figure, a single Mom putting together a Christmas present for her sons, I can't get mad - in many ways she and her sons put me in mind of my Mom and me. But I later found out it was her new boyfriend that was doing the work! I know it sounds sexist, but he should have known better! Ugh. Well I did manage to get the chuck loose, and I'll take a file to the jagged plastic on the grip. Hopefully all will be okey-dokey. Chalk it up to another tool lending story.

Wes

PS I really can't be mad at him either - a tree fell on his car tonight - no chainsaws involved - honest. I feel really bad for him.

Wes,

Ah, well, so it goes. I think it's just part of the game. My neighbor was trying to do something, and I helped him most of an evening a couple months ago. Around midnight, I just had to get back, and I left some of my tools with him, including a nice plane. I still don't know how he managed to crack the plane body. But he's a good guy, and he felt terrible about it... so terrible he went to home depot and got a buck brothers (!) plane to *replace* it. I just laughed. He felt so terrible about it that I didn't have the heart to explain it to him.

Oh, well. It's just a thing, and so replaceable. The day I turn into one of those grumpy old men who won't lend his precious tools is the day I hang up my spikes!

Thanks,

Bill

I don't have a problem with lending out my tools, but when I do, I say to the person borrowing the tools, while looking them straight in the eye, and shaking their hand "You break it, you buy it or replace it, you damage it, same deal, it gets returned to me in the same condition it is in now, right?" and if they have any trouble with that, I tell them I'll gladly help them pick out a good tool at the DIY store.

Tools cost money, I work REAL hard for my money, I buy the best tools I can, so why should I take it on the nose for someone busting up my tools?

Wes, you are a good guy, if you did not say nothing before hand, then I guess you just got to take your lumps.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've got a great paperweight in my posession right now... it looks an awful lot like a Makita worm drive saw... with a cut cord. Buddy loaned me his Makita, and while breaking down ply for the shop the saw got hungry and cut its own power cord. I'm going to get it repaired before it goes back to him of course. Knowing him, he'd just shrug, and do a field fix, but I've got the new cord on order, just have to go pick it up.
    -Ned

Good for you Ned, and I'm not surprised at all that you would take care of the problem.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I only loan my tools to one group of people...everyone!!

They are only tools and can be readily replaced, friendships are priceless whether it be a neighbor, friend, relative or co-worker...
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I have some tools that I'll loan out, and others that I don't. I won't loan something that I don't have a duplicate of, or that I'm not willing to have returned to me damaged.

Lately, I've had problems getting people to take me up on my offers to use my tools, one co-worker in particular. He's had several situations where one of my tools would have made his project much easier, and he says he'll come over to do it (or borrow the tools to take home), then he ends up not following through. For example, for the past 6 months or more he's talked about needing a benchtop router table for a small project he wants to do. I have a working Craftsman router in a benchtop table that I've repeatedly offered to give him -- I don't need it any more -- and he keeps saying he'll take it. But he never manages to make it over to pick it up. (He lives about a mile away.) Ah well, I still try.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, put a big ribbon on it and drop it on his doorstep for Christmas!
    William Arthur Ward

I guess I'm the grinch .... I have a very short list of people to whom I'll lend "some" of my tools. Other than the people on that list, I will not lend anything unless it's an emergency (a real emergency) and if it's that bad, I'll likely lend myself along with my tools.

I've made my living with my tools, and if there's one thing I can't abide, it's going to do a job to feed my family and find that the tool I need is missing or broken and nobody told me. I figure if the job the "other" person is going to to do is that important, then they'll have taken the necessary steps to be ready ahead of time. (except in an emergency as said above ...)

Anyway .... I'm ready ... y'all can start pitching rotten fruit anytime ..

cheers eh?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    I guess I'm the grinch .... I have a very short list of people to whom I'll lend "some" of my tools. Other than the people on that list, I will not lend anything unless it's an emergency (a real emergency) and if it's that bad, I'll likely lend myself along with my tools.

I've made my living with my tools, and if there's one thing I can't abide, it's going to do a job to feed my family and find that the tool I need is missing or broken and nobody told me. I figure if the job the "other" person is going to to do is that important, then they'll have taken the necessary steps to be ready ahead of time. (except in an emergency as said above ...)

Anyway .... I'm ready ... y'all can start pitching rotten fruit anytime ..

cheers eh?
    No casting of stones here John. I may be more conservative than you. I have a box with an old Craftsman circular saw, jigsaw, router and drill that are the "loaners" and my good stuff never leaves my shop. My premium hand tools never get loaned.

By the way Wes, I had nearly the same experience yesterday when my next door neighbor sent his wife over to see if she could borrow some tools for him. I said I would be happy to loan out from the "box" or if anything else was needed to bring it to me and I would help them with the work. The guy sent his wife back over with a board asking for a 6" hole to be cut in the center. 1 minute on the DP with a circle cutter and she was headed back home. Funny, I never see the husband unless there has been some kind of problem that he needs help with...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers