mitered cabinet doors

bill walton

I've got a request to do a kitchen with mitered, raised panel doors with a custom profile on the rails and stiles. The customer has a pile of 30y.o. mahogany he wants me to use. I guess, I'll have to build the doors myself, something I've only done as a onesy-twosy thing in the past, not a kitchen with 18 drawers and 15 doors. Should I even try or just get someone like walzburg to make them out of a similar material and similar profile?

TIA, Merry Christmas,
Bill

bill,

my answer will depend on 2 things, what type of machinery is at your disposal and have you ever done mitered doors before. it's not as easy as one would think. I just did a job with some and decided to buy them, mainly because i buy all my doors due to time constraints. but i would have bought them regardless.

first you will need to be able to mill the profile in a way that is repeatable and exact.

then you will need a way to cut the miters spot on, i would not suggest using a cms due to the tendency of the blade to move the board ever so slightly upon the initial cut. a hold down may solve this.

then you need a reliable way to fasten the doors together that you feel you can trust and are willing to put your name on.

to say you can't do it would be foolish, but i don't think it would be an easy task.

there is a reason my door company charges 41 dollars per door as opposed to 26 or 28 with traditional raised panel.

hope this helps, sorry if i sound discouraging, just trying to be honest

chris

Hi Bill,

I don't know if it will be feasible for you to build them. I know the door companies are using a mitered mortise and tenon CNC machine...very expensive. Makes quick work of cutting the miters and integral mortise and tenons. Makes a nice clean tight joint that will hold up over time. Unique machine also makes a door machine that cuts a finger joint and drills for a dowel. From what I understand this is the strongest miter joint but some people complain about seeing the little fingers on the edge of the door. Smaller door shops might have these machines because these are cheaper than the CNC machines. Maybe you might be able to find a smaller shop that could run your wood for you.

Doug

I've got a request to do a kitchen with mitered, raised panel doors with a custom profile on the rails and stiles. The customer has a pile of 30y.o. mahogany he wants me to use. I guess, I'll have to build the doors myself, something I've only done as a onesy-twosy thing in the past, not a kitchen with 18 drawers and 15 doors. Should I even try or just get someone like walzburg to make them out of a similar material and similar profile?

TIA, Merry Christmas,
Bill
Hi Bill :wave:,
Merry Christmas late!:D
If you are in this to make money on this job you probably will but it may be like someone who does macrame or weaving, the $ per hour may not be that great. As I have always seen it... A job is an opportunity for you to learn something on someone elses dollar. Even in the learn as you go, you will probably do a better job than others they might hire. Divide and conquer!!!!!!! 18 drawers... = 36 stiles and 36 rails... How many are the same length ( consider this as 1 (one!) . All of a sudden the size of the door job is smaller!:D How many common measurements are there for the drawers...? One set up makes for a reduction in set up time and thought .
Big jobs are just little jobs side by side with more parts and with a little bit extra in between.
Remember..........................DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!!!! also, you have help here! :thumb:
Shaz :)