Radiusing all edges of a cube in Sketchup?

Neil Clemmons

I was doing a design and using follow-me in Sketchup.

I cannot seem to get all edges of a cube to radius properly. I can trace the bottom, or the top, or any edge. But they do not meet up properly when one follow-me edge meets a perpendicular edge.

I can easily trace the top edge. But when a side edge meets the top radius, it does not properly join the radius of the top edge.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

Neil

OK, try this.

1. Square (12x12 inches in my example) with radiused corners. (1" in my example)
2. Pulled up so the height is the same as the radius. Delete upper face. Draw a radius profile on the inside.
3. Run Follow Me on the profile. Clean up as needed.
4. Heal face on top by tracing an edge with the Pencil tool. Use Push/Pull to pull the face up. (5" in my example. 1/2 the total height of the cube minus the radius dimension. Delete the face. Clean up any visible lines--Ctrl+Eraser.
5. Select the geometry and copy it with Ctrl+Move. Move it up above the original. Mirror it with Scale and -1.
6. Move the top down onto the bottom. Delete the seam line edges.

Howzzat?

Edited to add the following image for those who might not want to download the SKP.

SFCubepng.jpg

Attachments

• Radiused Cube.zip
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Excellent - thanks Dave -

I'll have to think about how to easily apply that technique when it's not always a cube or symmetrical. But the technique helps a lot when you realize you draw it from the inside rather than the outside.

Neil

Just remember to place the profile square to the first leg of the path and make it end square, too. Easiest to meet that requirement by starting at the midpoint of the first segment.

Suppose you want a larger radius on the top than on the bottom. Switch up a couple of steps. Copy and mirror the shape before drawing the profile. And if the top and bottom faces aren't parallel to each other, modify things before bringing the two parts together.

Sometimes you may find you need to combine Follow Me and Push/Pull or other methods to create the profile around the edgs.