........ one of my wood stacks from my "Logging in Tokyo" days
I need to make some stuff up for a gift, and I wanted to use some of my wood, has been up on the roof nearly two years, so it should be dry.
Attachment 15607 Attachment 15608 Attachment 15609
I took three like this down to the Dungeon, I hope to get some nice boards out of them. I think they came through the air drying stage fairly well, the ends have a bit of damage, but that was to be expected, I guess.
Four of my six stack were fine, but two stacks, the two without tin roofs, well to my horror, the covers have failed BADLY!
I tore the stacks apart, and I found..................BUGS!
I tore all of the bark off of the pieces (should have done that when they were green) and did some STOMPING
This is what the bugs look like..........
Attachment 15611 Attachment 15610 Attachment 15612
Some kind of wood borer I guess.
I opened each stack, well I have one yet to do, and I restacked everything, and found only a few more bugs, but they were not on the wood that I'm drying, but between the 2x4s under the stacks, between the concrete and the 2x4, I guess that is where the moisture is....
I'll show the boards I took down to the Dungeon, when they have been worked on a bit.
Yep, this gift to myself was about two years in the making