Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best Gift You Gave This Year?

What's the Best Gift You Gave This Year?

We still haven't opened presents here, but I always enjoy the giving part more than the getting, mostly for the surprise the right gift can cause the recipient. What did you give this year that was extra well-received??

Any surprise hits? Any duds?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Two that were the best were an easel I made my daughter (which she's spent most of the day playing with) and a gift certificate to Lobel's of New York that a couple of my brothers and I went in on for my dad. The latter is something my dad saw on a cooking show and was telling me about. He NEVER expected to be getting anything from there.

1. We gave my Mom a Kitchenaid mixer to replace her 35 year old Sunbeam, and she seemed pretty pleased about it.

2. I'm told the jewelry box was a big hit, but I wasn't there to see the reactions in person. Either way, I feel good about giving it.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-26-2007 at 03:24 AM.
    Got Wood?

I think it was "Santa" that gave the Little Man Tinkertoys - he's been building all evening! The "Shoot-a-Loop" has been a hit as well. (from Mom and me)

Wes

My dad is 87, blind and a big sports fan. Call him any evening and there is a good chance that he is listening to a high school, college or pro sports game of some kind. He admires Colts coach Tony Dungy, and is also a Colts fan. I gave him a copy of Dungy's book, Quiet Strength, on CD. The smile and sincere "thank you" made that book/CD worth 100's of times what it cost. I'm sure he will enjoy the book on CD as much as I enjoyed reading it. It's an easy read and quite inspirational. I highly recommend it.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Late to chime in on my own thread, but I was successful in finding something this year LOML liked, but had no idea I might get for her.

She typically tells me what she wants, and knows I'll get that. In an attempt to also surprise her, I always get something in addition to her requested item, but sometimes my attempt falls flat. (She's the first to tell you she's hard to buy gifts for...she can be very picky.) This year she got the Bluetooth headset she was expecting (although they didn't ship the color I ordered), but she was very pleasantly surprised by the GPS navigation system for her car. She's...shall we say..."navigationally challenged", and perhaps now she won't need to call me once or twice a month to look up a map on the Internet and help her figure out how to get from Point A to Point B.

workingwoods.com

My wifes parents live in Orlando Fl. and she doesn't get to see them as often as she'd like to so,.....I gave her $$$ to buy tickets to go see her mom and dad.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    My wifes parents live in Orlando Fl. and she doesn't get to see them as often as she'd like to so,.....I gave her $$$ to buy tickets to go see her mom and dad.
    Having spent two Christmas seasons in a row unable to be with my family, I can appreciate how pleased LOYL must have been for the ticket money. Excellent call, Steve.

workingwoods.com

Yeah but now she wants me to go too....
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

whatsamatter, Steve, don't want to go to Disneyworld?