Thread: Easy Chair

Easy Chair

Ok, not a project that I've built, but wanted to show it off. It belonged to my wife's aunt. I guess my wife's uncle worked for the company that made it (Royal Chair Co). It's an interesting piece as the the recliners action is completely conciled in the arm's wood work (other than the button). Under the seat is a drawer that pulls out with a magazine rack and foot rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00964.jpg   DSC00965.jpg   DSC00966.jpg   DSC00967.jpg   DSC00968.jpg  

DSC00969.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That's pretty cool, Darren. Any idea when it was made? I'd be interested in seeing how the mechanism works.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Darren,

That magazine rack is a pretty inventive idea. I have a similar chair but its made by barkalounger. Definitely no hidden magazine holder in mine.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Darren,

Very nice.

Like Vaughn, I'd be interested in the mechanism for the foot rest and the magazine drawer.

Here's some additional info I found that might have some interest.

http://forum.arts-crafts.com/eve/for...2/m/5226079532

I'll get some pics of the bottom. It basically has a slide plate with knotches in it connected to the back of the chair. When the button is pushed the plate is allowed to slide allowing the back to recline. I came across the patent on Google that has some drawings.

Since the chair has been recovered we are wondering if there was originally a set of wooden trim pieces on each side of the back (like the ones on the page Greg posted...Thanks Greg). Since it has been recovered, my wife wants to do so again, but in leather. I have a co-worker that used to do upholstery for a living and still has the equipment, so going to get some help from her and learn some upholstery.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-27-2007 at 03:56 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Here are some pics of the foot rest and recliner mechanics. The foot rest rides on a couple of stamped rails on each side of the recliner's frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABCD0012.jpg   ABCD0013.jpg   ABCD0014.jpg   ABCD0015.jpg  
    Darren