Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Us a New Guy

ABQ NM

Got Us a New Guy

In case you other turners hadn't noticed, Sean Wright has fallen in a big way into the Abyss. Seems Santa hooked him up with a Jet Mini VS and some turning tools.

So mentioned that you'd probably have questions. Well, fire away. You know we're not too shy. We may not know the answers, but we'll make up some good ones if we don't. Congrats on the new tools and welcome to the land of roundness.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post

It is my 1st lathe! I'm pretty excited about it. I have never turned anything before. Some time in the near future my Dad and I are going to take a turning for beginners class at our local Rockler. In the mean time I'm going to give it a go, just some spindles to get a feel for it.

Any advise from the turners in the Family is appreciated!
    Get a full face shield and good safety glasses, and USE them

Really you are new to turning, so make sure you have yourself covered!

To start with you can use pine etc, without knots is better, " to 8" long is good enough. Grab a spindle gouge and bash the corners off the chunk off wood, so it is roundish, now turn off the lathe, and with your head near the headstock, put the gouge back on the tool rest, (tool rest should be a bit above center of the piece, and as close a possible to the piece) then turn the hand wheel a bit and look, watch, observer how the wood goes into the cutting edge of the gouge, watch, learn how it works. Try just rubbing the bevel, then with the bevel rubbing, lift the back of the handle of the tool a bit and see how it starts to dig in.

Don't matter what you turn, just turn, learn to sharpen your tools, I'd HIGHLY recommend the AAW sharpening video, VERY good.

Oh yeah, have fun, have LOTS of fun!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Goodland, Kansas
    Congrats on the new lathe Sean. I agree with what Stu said. Practice and safety are paramount.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Now you've gone and done it Vaughn. Sean was quietly trying to ignore the fact that he had danced too close to the edge of the Abyss and slipped in. Way to pull the guys covers . . .

Just kidding, of course. I can talk since I haven't slipped . .. yet ;-) I do enjoy the turner's posts and really like being able to see the pieces coming out of "the land of roundness". I'll be looking forward to Sean's journey.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    In case you other turners hadn't noticed, Sean Wright. Seems Santa hooked him up with a Jet Mini VS and some turning tools.
    OH NO .................another turn coat

Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-27-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Fixed a "QUOTE" tag

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Turn coat? Or is it just getting back to the best world?

Welcome, and ditto what Stu said! SAFETY FIRST.

Sean......don't's only money.....take a you can remember what it looked like.....

The Heart of Dixie
    There is a cure!! I found it! So there is hope.

Really not sure why I don't turn much anymore. I guess the desire for building furniture was stronger. But I did love turning stuff, just don't do much anymore.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

WNY, Buffalo Area
    Thank you all for the warm welcome to "the other side".

Here's the 1st question. Well, I have a decent starter set of turning tools, I was thinking about getting the $36 set from HF. My main reason was to have a set to practice sharpening on. In addition to never having turned before, I've never sharpened turning tools either. I don't have any illusions about the quality found in a $36 set of tools, but I would rather learn to sharpen on them than the better set that I have.

What are you thoughts?

The set that I have now is the Crown 5 Piece Full Size Turning Set from Rockler. Does anyone have this set? How do you like it if you do?

We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.

Houston, Texas
    Don't Go Seannnnnnnnnn !......
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Here is how