bench dogs or dog hooks?

larry merlau

ken cook had a link to some of these critters and am bout ready to get some form of (bench dogs also a bench vice..) so my questions are whats your take on these items what do you have and what would you recommend? i saw a vice at tods last spring but i lost my notes on what he used and so i am hoping for a reprieve in my memory loss.. the bench i am looking to use for this is 1.5" particle board that has ben supported every 20 inches. will that hold up to the pin type bench dogs or should i wait for the next bench that will made outa BB ply and smaller frame. thanks

I would worry about the sideways pressure on the hole edge in particle board for bench dogs. I have used them since finishing my bench which is 3" thick MDF without a problem.

Glen i have plastic laminate on top of this bench so that would help on the top area but the bottom could still get loose the clamping type like greg cook showed us , i thik would work better for the thinner particle board top. the next bench will be stiffer!!! i must have the pleague have had ahard time gettin response today.. must be steve's comment was the general opinion of me today:dunno::dunno: thanks just the same glen and hope this disease i have doesnt afflict you as well... i dont think its contagious:huh: