shop question for the fire fighters!

Doing some searching and came across this thread. With a load of new members here and the quality of contribution to this thread i thought it could well do with recycling.

We have some really valuable stuff here but its buried. :dunno::huh::(

Man i long for my old secretarys way of filing, i could find anything in seconds involving tons of paper of many subjects over long periods.

Search today is great but you get so much to wade through you still buried when trying to find something.:(

Doing some searching and came across this thread. With a load of new members here and the quality of contribution to this thread i thought it could well do with recycling.

We have some really valuable stuff here but its buried. :dunno::huh::(

Man i long for my old secretarys way of filing, i could find anything in seconds involving tons of paper of many subjects over long periods.

Search today is great but you get so much to wade through you still buried when trying to find something.:(

rob,, yur right and i just added some tags so it should come up easier next time.. in your research time if yu see where something needs to be found again add tags to it..i try to add tags but forget alot and then its gets lost.. so to all who post here if yu find something thats needs to be remembered give it a tag if it doesnt already have one:thumb::thumb:

These old threads throw me sometimes. :bonkers:
But this one does have good information in it.
While we are on the subject of shop fire safety. I have a question.
I share my little shop space with my gun equipment and supplies. Among those supplies are about 30 lbs. of black powder and four pounds of modern reloading powder. And, with my stabilizing pot I keep several gallons of Acetone. Right outside the door, I have my generator and five 7 1/2 gallon plastic jugs of gasoline.
If a fire starts and gets to the black powder the result will shake the pictures off the walls at Vaughn's house.
I have been looking for signs to place on the outside doors that say "EXPLOSIVE or something similar. No luck finding them. Yes, I found some on Ebay at about $70.00 each. Not going for that.
Enney suggestions where some might be purchased?

So Frank you obviously dont need a fire extinguisher, you need something like a jet fighter seat catapult to get to out of there in a hurry if things start to go wrong.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry could not help it.:)

I have been looking for signs to place on the outside doors that say "EXPLOSIVE

Frank,

Given what you're storing in there, what you really need is a sign that says:

ATTN: Firefighters
Do not attempt to fight this fire!
Run for the hills!

Of course, by the time they read it, it'll be too late! ;)

30 pounds of black powder? Reckon that would blow up just about any building it was sitting in... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Frank,

Given what you're storing in there, what you really need is a sign that says:

ATTN: Firefighters
Do not attempt to fight this fire!
Run for the hills!

Of course, by the time they read it, it'll be too late! ;)

30 pounds of black powder? Reckon that would blow up just about any building it was sitting in... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

The reason I have so much is I'm trying to stay ahead of the inflation curve. BP is rapidly approaching $20.00 a pound retail. Twice a year I have an opportunity to buy from a wholesaler and try to get 2 lbs. each time at just under $15.00 a pound. When I started this bp business I bought 5 lb. canisters for $4.95.

These old threads throw me sometimes. :bonkers:
But this one does have good information in it.
While we are on the subject of shop fire safety. I have a question.
I share my little shop space with my gun equipment and supplies. Among those supplies are about 30 lbs. of black powder and four pounds of modern reloading powder. And, with my stabilizing pot I keep several gallons of Acetone. Right outside the door, I have my generator and five 7 1/2 gallon plastic jugs of gasoline.
If a fire starts and gets to the black powder the result will shake the pictures off the walls at Vaughn's house.
I have been looking for signs to place on the outside doors that say "EXPLOSIVE or something similar. No luck finding them. Yes, I found some on Ebay at about $70.00 each. Not going for that.
Enney suggestions where some might be purchased?

Here are some free signs that you can print off. Here are some pretty inexpensive ones. These aren't expensive either.

Would printing it out and getting it laminated work? Some office supply places will laminate for you, particularly the local home down types. Amazon also had this one:

http://www.amazon.com/DANGER-EXPLOSIVE-GRAPHIC-Adhesive-Vinyl/dp/accessories/B00182MA9I

One note for the fire extinguisher discusion. ABC fire extinguishers are great, but they pretty much trash open circuits if sprayed on them. Induction motors and insulated wiring seems to do pretty good. WE go through about 100x 20lb fire extinguishers a month in the mill. 2000 degree steel tends to light everything on fire if it gets out of where it's supposed to be. So lot of experience with the side effects. Saw stop users might actually be able to justify a CO2 extinguisher. Also water hoses are just fine if you flip your main breaker on the way out the door.

May also want to considering putting up some signs above the Fire EXT. so that someone not familiar with your shop can quickly find it. I picked up several metal signs from Lowes and mounted them up high above a half dozen Fire EXT. around the shop.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG09983.jpg
    IMG09983.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 36
what is if any standards for the placement and quantity or size of fire extinguishers? we all know wood burns and motors to.. but i dont recall much said about the prevention of a castophy by having or using fire extinguishers at hand for those emergency times.. so if any of you folk have some firemen or firewoman expeiernce and could help the rest of us out thanks.

Every time the questions about fire extinguishers comes up, I think to myself that I need to get one for my shop... I know I need one, but seems like I only think about it when I read the posts...:eek: by the time I get to the store, it's gone from my mind...:eek:
maybe I'll remember before I burn the shop down :dunno::dunno:

Every time the questions about fire extinguishers comes up, I think to myself that I need to get one for my shop... I know I need one, but seems like I only think about it when I read the posts...:eek: by the time I get to the store, it's gone from my mind...:eek:
maybe I'll remember before I burn the shop down :dunno::dunno:

That's why god invented note paper and pencils. A note on the car dash can do wonders for---well, almost anything. Samples: Get gas, bring bread, buy fire extinguisher, go to work, etc.

Enjoy,

Jim

Oils and Stains -

I have seen a house and family destroyed by a few stain soaked rags in the trash.

Be very cautious with finish soaked rags. I often soak them with water then lay them out flat in a safe place to dry out.