Screwdrivers; Anyone make their own?

Nick Clayton

Over the holiday my father complained that his grip isn't as strong as it used to be thanks to arthritis. I figured I would turn some larger handles and make a set of screwdrivers for him. Does anyone know of a vendor that sells nice screwdriver shafts that are hardened with magnetized tips? Thanks for the help.

Screwdrivers

Nick,

I believe Rockler has a screwdriver kit that you can turn your own handles. It has interchangeable tips but I'm not sure if they are magnetic. Nice thing to do for your Dad !

stop at one of the borgs and get a plastic handled one and whack the plastic. i have seen these posted on some of the sites. otherwise rockler has their kits on sale. i believe they are hardened and magnetic.

Wood magazine last month did an article on making your own screwdrivers. They have the plans and the kits you can order. The mag is not in front of me or I would give you the link/address of the company that had the kits.

Thanks for the replies.

Travis I have a good friend that grew up in China which is pretty close to you; what a great area!!! If you ever come across the wood article again would you mind sending me the link if it isn't any trouble.

Don, I picked up a kit yesterday, but was hoping to make a nice set for him, though I will probably include the 4-in-1 from Rockler. As far as it being nice, I feel that with everything dad and mom have done for me along the way I have a lot of catching up to do;)

Dale, I was thinking of that route, but didn't know how difficult it would be to knock the handle off.... Ever try it?

it is on the list of things to do after the arm heals. one person on a different forum used heat to soften the handle and pull out the shaft, a different person just laid the handle on a bench and gave it a good whack and cleaned up what was left with sandpaper.

I did a driver set for a Christmas gift. I band-sawed off the handle along the shaft, close to, but not touching the blade. Then a utility knife shave on two corners and it's off. Picture posted under First Christmas I was able to give a turning.

Hope that helps.