FIRST TIME TURNER

Brad Hungler

In Memoriam
Hello;My name is Brad,Please let me introduce myself. I'm from Independence Ky. Master Electrician trying to learn the great art of Turning. I recently bought a 1930s Delta double duty lathe. I have approx. 20 hrs. cleaning and polishing this old lathe to get it up to par to be in the tool room. I like many of you are pretty obsessed with my tools!!! If anyone can guide me to some beginner tips or projects, all info will be Greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone for your time and patience!!! Brad

Hi Brad, and welcome to the Abyss. As Greg mentioned, pictures of your lathe would be nice to see, and it'll give the rest of us a better idea of the size limitations of it. Plus, we like looking at different types of lathes. I don't think I've seen one like yours.

Beginner tips...

* Get a full face shield if you don't have one already.

* The basic high-speed steel turning tool set from Harbor Freight is a pretty cost-effective set to start with. They are not the best by any means, but they are an economical set to get started with. A lot of us started with that set.

* If possible, meet up with another turner (or a local turning club) to get a bit of hands-on instruction and a chance to watch someone who knows more than you. One or more basic woodturning videos can also be helpful.

* Learn to sharpen your tools. Sharp tools make turning fun. Dull tools will only frustrate you and potentially get you hurt. There are videos available to show you several ways to do it. Most of us use some type of jig to sharpen our tools. I highly recommend getting one.

* Read as much as you can. There's a lot of good information here and on other forums. In fact right now, there's at least one other new turner here on FamilyWoodworking who is asking many of the same questions you are. Keep an eye on the other new guys...they often will ask questions you've not yet thought of asking.

* Speaking of questions, don't ever be hesitant to ask them. There's no such thing as a dumb question around here. We're still all beginners at one thing or another. We will likely have electrical questions for you, so it'll all even out in the wash.

As far as first projects go, a lot of us turned a bonker as a first project. For example, this was the first thing I turned on my mini lathe about a year and a half ago:

Redwood Bonker1 - 600.jpg

Bonkers are great practice, often turned out of scrap 2x material. Another quick and easy practice piece is a weed pot. A weed pot is simply a small pot or vase-shaped piece of wood, with a hole drilled into it (instead of hollowing it out with walls of even thickness. Weed pots are a great way to use up little bits and pieces of scrap wood, while learning tool techniques and practicing form:

Weed Pots1b 800.jpg

Then there is the wide variety of turning kits available. Pens, bottle stoppers, pill boxes, lamp pulls, game calls, and all sort of other projects are out there. Craft Supplies USA (www.woodturnerscatalog.com) has a lot of different things to try, and many of them are good beginner projects. (Although a lot of very experienced turners turn these items as well.)

The last tip I have is to take all the money out of your wallet and take a couple pictures of it so you have a reminder of what money looks like. Once the Abyss starts to pull you in, your wallet will likely develop a leak (and you'll like it.) :p

Brad Welcome

It is not to late to join the Flat World, there are many here who will help you.

ps.
The coffee pot is on

WELCOME!!!

Hi Brad
Welcome to the ABYSS!!:wave::thumb:
Hope you enjoy yourself here. Since you're going to be broke soon - after all the tools and supplies you're going to want/need - do as some have suggested to others and take a picture of your cash so you can remember what it was like to have some.:rofl::rofl:

Welcome to the Vortex Brad! Closest thing to instant gratification I've found so far.

A book I"d recommend...."Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley....it's my go to resource.

DVD's....."Turned Bowls Made Easy" by FWW's own Bill Grumbine....He's also has another one out that I haven't bought yet.

Anything written or taped by Richard Raffan.....

Welcome to the family. Now that you have made the fatal step over the edge be ready to buy a chainsaw. You will never look at the junk of wood on the side of the road the same way. All I did was chuck up a few peices out of my freinds wood pile and started spinning and letting the wood decide what it wanted to be. After a few hundred hours of makeing shaveings, I actually made something that looked like a bowl.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and the fine welcome. I will post pictures of my old lathe Saturday, my daughter has to help me.:huh: What a GREAT group of guys and gals. Thanks again!!:thumb::thumb: Brad