Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Cart

Vacuum Cart

OK, I know this is flatwork (and quick and dirty flatwork to boot), but it was done solely in the interest of turning, so I'm posting it here.

This is what I did for the vacuum rig in my new "everything is mobile" shop. I started with the "constant run" hardware kit from Veneer Supplies, and with the exception of a bit of tubing and hardware, it was all made from stuff I had laying around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaccum Cart 1 600.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	15722

When it's upright, it's sitting on four rubber feet. Tilt it back a little ways, and it's mobile on the two wheels like a dolly. I ended up using a honkin' big 4-prong twist-lock plug for the power. I was having trouble finding 220v rated 3-prong locking plugs and receptacles, but I found a decent price on the 4-prongers, so I bought enough for my initial 220v needs. (Some of my 220v outlets will be in the ceiling, so I decided to make everything twist-lock.) It's overkill, but it cost me a bit less money, and I don't think it'll cause a problem.

Name:	Vaccum Cart 2 600.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	15717

The motor cover is intended to keep most of the dust and chips out of the pump, but it's held on with screws so it's easily removable.

Name:	Vaccum Cart 3 600.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	15718

I piped the air and power on the back so the cover wouldn't have to work around the tubing. The conduit is overkill, but I had a piece laying around, so I used it. The exhaust is also piped outside the box to keep the heat down. I'll watch things when I start using it, and if if the pump gets hot I'll enlarge the front opening to allow more airflow. (On the other hand, I may close it up more to cut back the noise a little if the external exhaust keeps things cool enough.)

Name:	Vaccum Cart 5 600.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	15719 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaccum Cart 4 600.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15720

I ended up with two different filters -- one that came with the Veneer Supplies parts kit and another I ordered from Surplus Center. I decided to use both of them, for no other reason than I had them available. The big one should catch anything that comes down the hose and the smaller one should catch any dust that might get in through the breather valve (unlikely).

Name:	Vaccum Cart 6 500.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	15721

Hopefully in a week or so I'll finally be able to fire this thing up (and the new lathe, too). Dang electricians and their power trips.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks really good!

Vaughn, you are going to LOVE finishing off the bottom of a bowl etc with a vacuum chuck, just simply LOVE it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Vaughn that is awesome looking. Great idea. That sure does make things simple. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You thought things out really good Vaughn! Looking forward to finding out how your system works, what the noise level is like and if there is an issue with heat at the pump. I do like the idea of making the system portable so you can move it out of the way when not in use. Very nice work!
    Steve

You weren’t kidding when you said you were going to reorganize. Very cool idea.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Very cool idea, Vaughn!

Nice unit Vaughan, could you let me know what vacum this unit pulls.
    Is the suction hose wire or braided reinforced? and is the vacum pump vane or diaphragm? I have worked in the pump hire industry for 30 years and have used all types of vacum pump's to assist the priming of the unit and still try to keep up to date with the equipment.

That's a real mother if I ever saw one!

(Necessity being the "mother" of invention)
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
    Nice unit Vaughan, could you let me know what vacum this unit pulls.
    Is the suction hose wire or braided reinforced? and is the vacum pump vane or diaphragm? I have worked in the pump hire industry for 30 years and have used all types of vacum pump's to assist the priming of the unit and still try to keep up to date with the equipment.
    John, the hose is braid reinforced, and the pump is this one:

Surplus Center Link

I'm still waiting on 220v power in the shop, so I haven't seen what numbers it'll actually pull. This is my first exposure to vacuum pumps, so I'm pretty ignorant about them. This particular one seems to be pretty popular with the woodturners, so I'm assuming it'll do what I need it to do. If I ever get into vacuum press veneering or anything else where I need to maintain a constant vacuum over a substantial length of time, I'll re-do the plumbing to add vacuum storage tanks and an electronic pressure controller. Something along the lines of this one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very impressive!

I am just trying to figure out how to make a shelf for mine.