Plombing the depths of my depravity

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

So, a few days ago, Kerry wrote this:

"(I'm nearly as hopeless as Bill Lantry makes himself out to be - seriously!)"

Which sounds to me like he doesn't believe I could possibly be as lame as I say I am! ;) Well, I'm here to tell you, I'm all that, and worse... *and* I have the pics to prove it!

First, a brief aside. Last winter, I decided to finally do something about sheet good storage, so I made a sheet goods cart. It was nice, I did some mortise and tenon joints for strength, put some big casters on it, it worked quite well for a few months. adly, it was not Doorlink proof. Yes, she knocked it across the driveway with her car, fully loaded, and it survived that, but another day, she wa moving it out of the way, and pushed it over, with a few hundred pounds of stuff on it, and that was the end of that. So this week, I made a new one, and took no chances: didn't take the time to do special joinery, just
got some 2x4s and and galvanized brackets. You can see it in these pics.
Shelf 055 (Medium).jpg

Shelf 056 (Medium).jpg

Shelf 061 (Medium).jpg

Anyway, the reason I needed a cart is because I bought a bunch of plywood to make the laundry room shelves and cabinets. Shelves first: 12" deep, 7' tall, 48" wide. Lots of dadoes. Got a good 23/32 router bit, whiteside, for a song at woodcraft, got out the redline cutting guide, and went at it. I knew I'd mess it up, so I cut one piece 24 1/2" wide, figuring I'd just rip it to two twelves when I was done. First for dadoes were perfect... then I got cocky, and didn't tighten one of the clamps well enough.

Shelf 042 (Medium).jpg

Shelf 043 (Medium).jpg

Shelf 044 (Medium).jpg

Boy, when they slip, they slip! I'm glad the plan was always to paint these things (don't worry, that plywood didn't cost much more than MDF, it's the cheap stuff). But I'm thinking we should come up with a new name for that kind of dado joint. The slip 'n stop? The curve ball? ;)

But wait, there's more! Doorlink happened to see them at this stage. Now, I'd done traditional spacing: bottom couple were 14", then 12", then 10", then 2 at the top 8" tall each. Sounds reasonable, right? Only in Doc's world! ;) In Doorlink's world, 8" shelves are inconceivable and useless. OK, change of plan!

Anyway, to rip an 8' piece, I have to reconfigure the shop: turn the tablesaw/ router table assembly 90 degrees, and put the pieces of plywood on the opened doors to serve as infeed and outfeed.

Shelf 049 (Medium).jpg

Ripped the long pieces, no problem. Reconfigured, and cross cut 9 12x48 shelves. Time for glue up, so I reconfigured again: the beast has to alo serve as my largest assembly table:

Shelf 057 (Medium).jpg

Shelf 056 (Medium).jpg

One more thing to do: dadoes are 1/4" deep. So, off to the bandsaw, to cut 1/4" strips to fill the useless last dado and give Doorlink the 16" top shelf he wanted:

Shelf 058 (Medium).jpg

pinned and glued them in. They look like heck, but once I paint them, a my father always said, 'a blind man will never see 'em'.

Someday, I'll be good enough to do one simple piece of casework without messing it up six different ways! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

So, a few days ago, Kerry wrote this:

"(I'm nearly as hopeless as Bill Lantry makes himself out to be - seriously!)"

Which sounds to me like he doesn't believe I could possibly be as lame as I say I am! ;) Well, I'm here to tell you, I'm all that, and worse... *and* I have the pics to prove it!

Wow - can't argue with photographic evidence. I guess I'll have to drop out of the "As Hopeless As Bill Lantry" race after all.... :rofl:

Nice save, by the way. Let's see the painted version when it's ready for prime(r?) time!

I think I can probably stay in the "Hopeless" race. :wave:

You're not alone, Bill. In building this tablesaw cabinet for my shop - I got part way into it - realized I'd screwed up - knocked it apart, filled & sanded the biscuit slots & cut new ones & started over - THREE TIMES!!! :huh:

2067813308_ef2415c7bc.jpg

It's finally together & up & running & it actually does cut wood! :dunno:
Shocking!

-Kevin in Indy

Nice save, Kevin. I always figured half the fun (or perhaps challenge) of woodworking is figuring out how to fix the mistakes. If we're not making any mistakes, then we're probably not stretching our limits very far. ;)

Bill, I'm with Kerry...looking forward to seeing the painted version.