Updated finish going on Wine cabient

Jeff Horton

I was going to update the old thread but darned if I can find it!

I have been working on my sisters Christmas gift for a while now. I kept having other things crop up that I needed to get done. So it has been sitting in the shop way to long to suit me. Then our trip to Houston was canceled so there was no rush to get it done.

Mainly I have been waiting on hinges. Could find nothing local and decided to wait till after the Christmas shipping rush to order any. Yesterday I found what I wanted locally so I am finally able to work on this again.

I spent the afternoon hanging the doors. I have to lay the cabinet down and place the doors. I would then mark them. Go to the bench and plane down the edges. Fit the hinges. Remark them and do the final trimming. The reward for all the work is a really nice fit on the doors.
101_1405.JPG 101_1406.JPG 101_1407.JPG

Now I just need to install the trim, make two shelves and it will be ready for finishing.

Last edited:
Nice Work Jeff :wave:,
The doors look like they fit real good with a close tolerance. From the looks of the hinges they will not allow sagging. Are you comfortable with your lateral strength?
Shaz:)

Yes and no. They seem fine once installed Shaz. But the bottom doors are heavy! I am tempted to add a third hinge honestly. Upper doors once they get glass will be heavier, but nothing like the lower ones.

Looking good Jeff! Keep us advised on the hinge situation. I would add a third to the uppers and the lowers, it is easier now that later. Just my .02 cents worth.

hey jeff, looking good, love that walnut

i am confused about the need for a 3rd hinge, are we talking about the weight of the doors or the possibility of them saggin? i understand the weight issue but not understanding how a 3rd hinge will prevent saggage???

thanks
chris

Can't see much in this lousy photo but I finally found some shop time and I have been busy as a beaver. I have this one just about ready for finish. I have to touch up some of the stain on it. Some corners I could reach, so I need a small bush. I have to install two blocks for a glass shelf and it's ready for Lacquer or what ever finish I finally decide on.

The Glass racks came out beautifully. I need to get a close up of them. I meant to thank everyone for the tips. I will try to get better photos tomorrow

assembled.jpg.​

Looking good Jeff, Are you going to put some lights up in the top to light up the inside of the cabinet? I built a china cabinet with Glass doors and have had no problem with two hinges on the glass doors. I found some nice led lights for the top at HD that have 50,000 hrs rated on them. Maybe something to look into if you are going that way.

Not planning on any lights. The top is taken up by the glass rack. Where I......... well she will hang her stemware. My sister is a Chef and she said she has a lot of glasses she has collected and no good place to put them. That was the biggest reason she wanted this. So there is not really any room for lights in it.