Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Heat

Workshop Heat

I know that many of you are like me in that your shop area doesn't have dedicated heat or air. Mine is in my basement where it stays between 58* - 78* year round because of the thermal mass of the earth. I just recently bought one of these heaters from Tractor Supply and it has been great! It cost around 130 but, is portable and has an O2 sensor that's for safety. I keep a CO monitor in my basement shop area as some insurance. It does a very nice and economical job of warming things up via both radient and convection heating. It may be a solution for someone else wanting a bit more heat at a reasonable cost. Also, it comes completely assembled so there's really no work to invest in getting warmer.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstor...00/3240730.jpg
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

18k BTU. Nice. The site -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...e&cFlag=1#null

says it is self contained. Does it take a standard bottle? Is it propane? Thanks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I could have used something like that tonight out in my shop. I'll echo Glenn's question -- what's the heat source?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I runs on Propane...

http://www.pinnacleint.com/cabinet.html

Nice looking unit, but note:

"...is ideal for the hobbyist and workshop enthusiast that needs portable supplemental heat in the workshop or garage..." then "Designed for well ventilated areas outside the home."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    I runs on Propane...

http://www.pinnacleint.com/cabinet.html

Nice looking unit, but note:

"...is ideal for the hobbyist and workshop enthusiast that needs portable supplemental heat in the workshop or garage..." then "Designed for well ventilated areas outside the home."

That is lawyer speak for "Blow your house up, not our fault!"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This unit in question uses propane and I have a standard 25lb bottle on mine but, you can get an extender hose and use any size commercially available. Stu is right about the "lawyer speak" and that's why I have a CO monitor within 12 feet of it when it's in use. Explosion is not the big worry, carbon monoxide poisoning is. This unit is essentially a small standard space heater like many millions that heated the rural USA homes of our parents. There is no visible flame when using this unit, the radient elements glow red and it gives off both radient heat as well as convective heat.

All that said I fall back on a well worn lines from "Bones" on Star Trek; "**** it Jim, I'm a doctor not a licensed HVAC contractor." Use at your own risk.

PS: it is not intended for "Residential use" but, then go on to explain just how much ventilation necessary for the unit and even uses examples of how far you should open your windows if used in an enclosed space...
    Last edited by Chris Barton; 12-31-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: forgot something

There's some code issue with bringing propane bottles indoors which is probably why they say not to. Every store around here that does propane tank exchange has signs on the doors not to bring them inside. It looks pretty similar to the wall-mount radiant propane/NG heaters.

We have an unvented propane fireplace unit and about the only issue with it is the amount of moisture it pumps into the air. You can see it condense on the windows in the nearby rooms. That might be a bit of an issue on cold cast iron in the shop. I know it was for an unvented kerosene heater in my dads shop.

Hi Matt,

I think you are spot on about the propane bottles. I've heard about the moisture issues but, interestingly I have a hygrometer in my shop and monitor the relative humidity and it never goes above 70% and using the heater doesn't seem to budge it a bit. I think the situation where people see the condensation is more caused by cold windows in contact with warmer air. When folks add heat using combustion the condensation is caused by getting the room temperature up to the dew point of the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That is lawyer speak for "Blow your house up, not our fault!"

In this case I think they mean; OK for garage, keep it outta the living room . I think for my SoCal 20 x 30 shop this could be a good fix.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Curious on how long a 25 lb bottle lasts you? Sounds like a nice way to heat my garage but I don't want fill it up every other day.

Thanks
    CE
    It doesn't work but at least it was cheap.