Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent Bulb Recommendations

Fluorescent Bulb Recommendations

I installed a few new shop light fixtures last night, and was wondering what you all recommend for the bulbs. These are standard 48" long 2-bulb T8 fixtures. I bought some GE "Residential" tubes, but they look way too "flourescent". I want something that's more natural-looking.

So...what do you recommend?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Without a doubt - go with "Daylight" color lamps - about 5500 kelvin, if memory serves. Usually available at either of the borgs.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Without a doubt - go with "Daylight" color lamps - about 5500 kelvin, if memory serves. Usually available at either of the borgs.
    Thanks Rennie. You confirmed my recollections. I started to grab "daylight" tubes at the store yesterday, but decided to try the others since they were substantially less money. I'll take the unopened packages back to the store and pony up the extra money for the right ones.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, if I ever get to go home today, I'll look up the on line dealer I got mine from and post back. Seems like they were about 63.00 shipped for 25 bulbs. Nice bright white, bulbes are made in Germany. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Hey Vaughn.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger on bulbs, go to HD. They have Phillps DX bulbs at 6500K. They are T-12's though. The light is equivalent to natural sunshine. That's all I use in my shop. Buy a case if you do get them. Individually they are around $6.00 per. By the case they are just under $30 for 10 bulbs. At least here in Wisconsin. Prices may vary in SoCal.

I really like the light these daylight bulbs give off, but it is really hard to find them. I won't get anything less than about 5500K.

Karl

Thanks for the tip, Karl. The Phillips DX bulbs were one of the ones I remembered hearing about, but couldn't remember the model number. I didn't realize T-12 and T-8 tubes would both fit the same fixture. (Thanks, Mr. Google, for the education.) I only need 6 tubes, so a case of 25 (as Jim mentioned) would be a lot of overkill. A case of 10, on the other hand, sounds workable, especially if it's less than buying 6 individual tubes.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, IIRC, this company has lots of 6 also. Shipping may kill the deal that the qty of 25 offers. I'll look. I know I've posted the web site at SMC before, but don't remember posting it here. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Well, it took a few minutes to find it but here it is. www.businesslights.com. They show most of the color and temperature numbers for their bulbs so you inow what you're getting. I think mine are cr86, 5000k. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-31-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

I don't remember what they are but I have some of the full spectrum bulbs in my "spary booth" I have a total of 6 tubes in a 5' x 4' x 7' area and find them kind of dark. Make sure you figure that in. Also the higher the CR, the better. CR = color rendition and 100 = perfiect IIRC.

Thanks for the link Jim, but it does look like the shipping on a small quantity (I was looking at two 4-packs) would be a deal breaker. (BTW, I edited your post to fix the link.) Thanks again, and it's still good information for others who need more bulbs.

And thanks for the info on the CR numbers, Matt.

workingwoods.com