Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DoveTail Jigs

DoveTail Jigs

Happy New Year Everyone!

I am building kitchen cabinets and am geting closer to the drawer stage. I will be using dovetail jointery on them and would like sugestions on dovetail jigs. I have been looking at Leigh Super Jig 18". Is this one OK? Other ones better/worse?

Thanks, Tom

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I have the PC4212 and I like it. It is simple and tails and pins are cut at the same time on the half-blind. I haven't tried full dovetails with it yet.

I have both an Incra Ultra and Leigh D4. Both will make perfect DTs. Incra is easier for HBDTs but, less flexible about placement and the Leigh is better for through DTs. All that said, if I could only have one it would be the Leigh.
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

I have a small Rockler which is servicable as long as evenly spaced DT's are OK. If I was doing a project of your scope I would want adjustable guides. Owners of better jigs will chime in and help, I'm sure.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thumbs up DOVE TAILS

boy tom yer lookin better everyday got a leigh if you wanta use it! that way you can test drive before you buy. seen a porter cable in action and have heard great things about the akeda.. but leigh has got alot of belivers.. simplicity not! till you have used it awhile to get used to it but the verstality is great.. you could hand cut them as well. how many drawers you got? give me a call if you want to use the leigh. i am home today if your headed out this way have fridge need empting
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have both the Leigh and the Keller. If everything you are making is of equal spacing based on the Keller, you are good to go. Easy to use. On the other hand the Leigh is fully adjustable to any dimension and different wood thicknesses. The manual with the Leigh is also one of the best on any tool that I have ever seen. Very well written and easy to understand. My vote is for the Leigh.

I've got the Keller and for simple evenly spaced through dovetails it is hard to beat. Easy to use as well.....

Here is a pic of the first dovetails I ever cut with the Keller jig, took about 30 minutes the first time, then a LOT less time after that..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dovetails1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	15914

Don't have any other dovetail jigs to compare it to.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks all for the input, looks like I have some investigating to do on all the different models, some I havn't heard of. Just want to be sure they can cut the pins and tails together, sounds like to me that that should be the most sure way they will fit, and quicker

Larry, I would definitly like to see and try out your leigh, and help with your fridge problem, but it will have to be a different day as we are going to celebrate my oldest granddaughters 10 b'day today, she's the one getting better looking every day, not this old codger.

Also Larry, there will be 16 drawers.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Niemi; 01-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.

any time TOM

your always welcome if you like i can bring the manual along tommrrow and you can get a look at it. if you want to d botha the same time the leigh isnt the one for that, you have two setups for it to do half blinds. the porter cable does do both i think but yu havent got the flexibilty. you need to go to woodcraft or a wood show to see the differnces up close. but your still welcome to use the leigh. anytime... later frosty
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have the CMT dt jig, but looking at woodcrafts site it seems the price had shot up. When I got mine last year the price was around $100, now it is $199 tThe only problem that I had with it is thebar that hold the stock down used to let the stock slide. To solve that, I place 120 grit on the under side of both bars.