Arkie question?

Larry, this is from Wikipedia:

Mayhaw is the name given to the fruit of three species of hawthorn that are common in wetlands throughout the southern United States.
Mayhaws grow in moist soil in river and creek bottoms under hardwood trees. The fruit ripens in late April through May, thus the name mayhaw. The fruit is also found in bayous surrounding lakes, such as Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. Mayhaws are often collected out of the water from boats to be used to make jelly. Mayhaw jelly is considered by some to be among the finest jellies in the world.
Families used to go on outings to collect mayhaws and create stockpiles of the jelly to last throughout the year, but the tradition has declined as with the increasing urbanization of the South and the destruction of the mayhaw's native habitat. The fruit has also been cultivated to grow outside of wetlands and this is increasing the source of the jelly.
As a celebrated delicacy of Southern U.S. cuisine, many communities associate themselves with the fruit: for example, Colquitt, Georgia, is considered the Mayhaw capital of the world, and El Dorado, Arkansas, celebrates a mayhaw festival each May.

thanks

nancy for the help in this,, must be i got real gift from what you found for me i tried to find what the fruit looked like in your link but got nowhere just that it was simaliar to a apple.. tastes great though.

Frank.....:huh:

And you call yourself a good Arkansan??? I'm from Tennessee and I've heard of it before...but never ate any. Next time I'm through Arkansas I'll have to stop and find some to try.

Nancy

The Ozarks and southern part of our state have very different weather and eco systems. From the locations you mention, I suspect the tree does not grow in the northen part of our state.
Next, somebody is going to ask about muscadines. ;)

The Ozarks and southern part of our state have very different weather and eco systems. From the locations you mention, I suspect the tree does not grow in the northen part of our state.

Muscadines (Vitis rotundifolia) are a grapevine species native to the present-day southeastern United States that has been extensively cultivated since the 16th Century. Its recognized range in the United States extends from New York south to Florida, and west to Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. They are well adapted to their native warm and humid climate; they need fewer chilling hours than better known varieties and they thrive on summer heat.
The muscadine berries range from bronze to dark purple to black in color when ripe. They have skin sufficiently tough that eating the raw fruit often involves biting a small hole in the skin to suck out the pulp inside. Muscadines are not only eaten fresh, but also are used in making wine, juice, and jelly.
Although in the same genus Vitis with the other grapevine species, muscadines belong to a separate subgenus, Muscadinia (the other grapevine species belong to subgenus Vitis), and some have suggested giving it standing as a genus of its own. Some taxonomists have also suggested splitting two additional species off from Vitis rotundifolia, Vitis munsoniana and Vitis popenoei. All have 40 chromosomes, rather than 38, are generally not cross-compatibile with other Vitis species, and most hybrids between the subgenera are sterile. A few, however, are at least moderately fertile, and have been used in breeding. The cultivar 'Southern Home', released by the University of Florida, contains both muscadine and subgenus Vitis in its background.
:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Don 't have to ask about muscadines - they make great wine!!!!:D:D And I can tell you that Arkansas produces some great wines. Weiderkehr in Altus is always a stop when I'm traveling through there!!

Nancy

thanks bruce

actually she had a chance to get some of those muskidines, to but they wer out when she got there.. she described them to me and i hadnt seen anything similar in my travels but the next time she is down there i will have to have her get some jelly and some wine, if nancy makes it a point to get some its gotta be good:thumb:

No problem Larry. Feel free to ask any other horticultural questions you want…I have Wikipedia bookmarked. :type:
I’m going to pick up some Mayhaw jelly and Muscadine wine next time I’m out that way. Never heard of either of ‘em

Larry, I love Mayhaw jelly! My step-dad is from SW Georgia and my mom used to make it. Yum yum!!! Wish I could find it around here.

And my step-dad made Muscadine wine too. Ooohwee that was good stuff! Now mom is gone and dad lives in SE Texas. Oh well.