FWW 2007 New Tool of the Year Honors

Doug Jones

I'd like to see what you think is the New tool of the year for 2007. Which tool that made its debut in '07 has made the biggest and best impact on the world of woodworking.

A power tool, a hand tool, a lathe tool, a scroll saw tool, a flat work tool, any tool that came to be in 2007.

Frank, I have one of those grippers and mostly I like it. The one thing you should be careful of is carrying thinner sheets of ply. You really have to position the gripper firmly over the board otherwise it tends to slip. I've hit my foot a few times using it. It is the new version and it still slips sometimes.

I'm suprised it took this long for the "Festool Domino" to be listed. :huh:

I don't have one, and I've never used one, but if I made good money from wood working, I would consider getting one. The high price tag of Festool, keeps the Domino out of the hands of this basement wood worker. :dunno:

Domino.

I just received delivery of the domino and a ct33 vac this afternoon.

It really will change the way joinery and woodworking is done.

It's not a biscuit and its not a dowel. It's the combination of the two.

Given the different sized dominoes, this machine will make woodworking so much easier.

Almost too easy. I only cut two slots this evening and can see all sorts of applications beyond the obvious wood joinery. as an example, you could use it to cut slots in the apron of a table inorder to attach the table top to the frame.

I can't wait to start using it.

joe

Well, I don't have one yet...and no plans in the near future...but you can't help but put the Festool Domino in for one of the best tools for 2007. Has changed the way many woodworkers look at joining 2 sticks of wood together...:eek:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=28038
As you know Greg, I have a lot of Festool stuff and I looked very seriously at getting a Domino. A rep even demoed one in my shop to a group of about 20 people.

But, in the end, I decided that the DowelMax (http://www.dowelmax.com/) does every bit as good a job for a LOT less money. I recieved a Dowelmax for Christmas and am testing it extensively this week. So far, I really like it. If DowelMax had been introduced in 2007, I would have nominated it -but its been arounds quite a bit longer than that.

As you know Greg, I have a lot of Festool stuff and I looked very seriously at getting a Domino. A rep even demoed one in my shop to a group of about 20 people.

But, in the end, I decided that the DowelMax (http://www.dowelmax.com/) does every bit as good a job for a LOT less money. I recieved a Dowelmax for Christmas and am testing it extensively this week. So far, I really like it. If DowelMax had been introduced in 2007, I would have nominated it -but its been arounds quite a bit longer than that.

You will Love that DowelMax Frank! :thumb:

DT

I dont think I'll ever get one (or need one), but just from the sheer number of posts on inet WW forums I'd say the Domino wins hands-down as the most significant new tool. It's at least the most talked-about new tool anyway.

There are not too any tools that were introduced in 2007. Those that were cost a fair amount or are simply an iteration of an older product.
If, however, you were to reduce the offerings to items costing $100.00 or less that were recent introductions, I'd have to mention the Wixey products. As a former Machinist, the Digital angle gauge and linear readouts are quite something. And it wasn't too long ago their cost was in the thousands of dollars.

My vote goes there.

You bring up a good point, Robert. Although it hasn't happened in just 2007, the availability of digital readouts for everything from $15 calipers to aftermarket planer kits has been quite an advancement. That's one of the only truly new concepts to show up in woodworking (and still be affordable to the masses).

I predict in the relatively near future we'll see more and more affordable CNC-type equipment geared towards the hobbyist/semi-pro woodworking market. The CarveWright is one of the first entrants into that market space, but the ShopBot looks like it's aiming for a lower price point, too.