Tour Time! (Inline pics - dialups take note)

Kevin Vernon

Promised y'all a shop tour some time back - the time has arrived.

Rather than watching parades & Football, I decided to haul out the camera & get busy.

My shop is a "Double Deep" one car garage bay - approximately 12x30. The Shop DOES have to share space & Play Nice with the car, so everything is fairly moveable.

As I mentioned in my Intro post, the place is well lit, sort of adequately heated (as long as it doesn't get TOO cold out) and poorly cooled. I can screen off the overhead door, so I can get some flow-through ventilation in the summer, but August & January both tend to be down times.

First off, here's a link to all the shop pics on my Flickr Page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy-mutant-photography/sets/72157603599899636/

There are 37 pics there - some of which you've seen. The Table Saw cabinet, for one example.

On with the Show!!! :wave::guitar::headbang:

1st: Looking into the Shop bay from the 2 car garage it's attatched to. The Toy sits there looking so forlorn & bored, cuz it doesn't want to go play in the snow.

2154423169_18b03fec5e.jpg

2nd: Sheet goods storage - and yes, The Toy needs a bath! :doh:

2155171746_eceba8f2f1.jpg

3rd: The view the Tools have of The Toy. They DO have to play nice, together. :p

2154362429_84d51c466d.jpg

4th: Reversed - The Toy's view of The Tools.

2154445421_1b7c4280f8.jpg

5th: Looking South - one of 2 benches, the big cluster of mobile tools stacked up, The Moon, Jim Kirk, Airplanes on the ceiling, and my 1500 watt radiant heater. It's ok - but if it's below about 25 outside, it just ain't happening in the old Shop.

2155141732_bae21a28eb.jpg

6th: The West wall - the other bench, & tool cabinets. The Tiny little drill press & the tinier little belt sander....and the sheer chaos, proving that I did NOT clean, just to shoot these pics. :dunno::wave:

2155161804_1cb5f5f1cd.jpg

7Th: 2nd bench, again - we got the clock on the wall, we got the parts bin & the bandsaw - and still we gots chaos. :rolleyes:

2155235550_6cc9731747.jpg

8Th: The Tool Cabinets. Lots of drawers, everything labeled - you'd think that would help with the chaos. Yeah, right!

2155224066_5408cb44be.jpg

Now - seeing as how I don't know just how many pics this thing will let me link in one post - I'm going to break this into 2 - back in a flash, after the halftime show :wave:

-Kevin in Indy (Don't go away now, y'hear?)

Last edited:
Hot off the presses - Shop Tour Part Two!!!

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. (Apologies to Emerson Lake & Palmer)

Where were we? Oh yes - coming up on photo # 9 of the fabulous Shop Tour.

9th: West wall, this time looking NorthWest. Notice The Toy trying to poke a headlight into the shot. Attention Hog! Also sheet goods storage on West wall.

2154372849_45d5140515.jpg

10th: East wall bench with Jointer. This is easily removeable for added bench space when required.

2155145694_ec1d922710.jpg

11th: below East Bench - scrap/cut off pile & compressor.

2155229820_c0e2e5acbe.jpg

12th: Still East wall, clamp rack installed on chimney. Ignore the flag from the mediocre basketball team. :p Perhaps "Clamp Farm" might be a better term.

2155151304_3c78f36fda.jpg

13th: South end of the Shop - when everything is tucked up out of the way, leaving room for The Toy. In this shot, if you can find them, are a Bandsaw, Chop Saw, Table Saw, Router Table, Planer, one outfeed roller, a couple of chairs, and even a TV.

2154451083_6282d0417a.jpg

14th: The Chop Saw Station, like most of my goodies, is on wheels, for the versatility. The Toy just HAS to get in the shot. It's just going to have to learn to not get it's Turbo in a knot.

2154490653_eb4f955dba.jpg

15Th: Chop Saw Station unfolded & ready for action. Normally I would roll The Toy outside to get some work done - and would have for these pics - but this Toy refuses to go out in the snow. Can't say as I blame it, really.

2154457039_b557065b14.jpg

16th: Table Saw cabinet with Planer. While it's pinned to the top in this shot, it tucks nicely away behind that left hand cabinet door, when I need the table saw. Shop Vac lives in the right hand cabinet

Just visible behind the table saw, there is a large stack of Pepsi 2-liter bottle crates, that make great, infinitely adjustable tables, supports, sawhorses, etc etc etc. I often lay a grid of them on the floor for panel cutting. Also, my Router table, Crosscut sled (Which I think I'm going to knock apart & re-build) and the big box of Ryobi cordless tools.

That Table Saw Cabinet does have wheels under it - and handles bolted all over it, and it get dragged around the shop to facilitate whatever I need to cut.

2154496123_f62fe3c672.jpg

:congrats: Hey! Ya sat through it all! Yup, that's right - all done. That's all I got, at least until there's some weather condusive to rolling the Toy into the Great Outdoors. And he does get SOOO moody when I roll him out - and then don't drive him. :rofl: What can I say - he's a toy, he wants to play.

I'm open to any & all feedback - anybody got any ideas? See anything glaringly missing? yeah - Dust Control. Working on it. That's my dilemma. Do I work up what I'm being told will be inadequate dust collection but that will work off 120 volts....or instead, to I take the $$$ that I could spend on D.C. & Run a sub-panel to the garage so as to get a couple/three 240 volt outlets - and then end up going without D.C. for like another year? Hmmmmm - inquiring minds want to know.

I apologized for "Long Windedness" in my intro post - and was told I'd written a veritible post-it note. :rofl: This one long winded enough for youse guys? ;)

ok - enough. I'll be back later to see what anybody has to say about this.

-Kevin in Indy

:dunno: Nobody want to look at my shop. Guess I must've just bored you all to death. :zzz:

Oh well - it's too cold to go do anything out there, anyway, so I might as well sit here & be entertained by my 'puter. :crash:

-Kevin in Indy

:dunno: Nobody want to look at my shop. Guess I must've just bored you all to death. :zzz:

Oh well - it's too cold to go do anything out there, anyway, so I might as well sit here & be entertained by my 'puter. :crash:

-Kevin in Indy
OK Kevin - I'll give it a try!:D
I really like your shop! I'm amazed by your use of space and I was warmed inside to see one of my heroes hanging on the wall - Beam me up! You seem to have thought out your purchase of tools very well taking into consideration the size of the tool as well as the space needed to properly and safely operate it. The table saw cabinet is a jewel. Well done!:thumb:

I assume you back out the toy when making dust! Besides planes, what do you build? What kind of wood projects come off all those tools?:dunno:

Kevin,
Sorry, I just missed your post!:eek: Very nice set-up - and toy!:D Are all those tool chests really full? And I see some Syd Mead art on the wall? He's my hero too Rennie - oh, you mean Kirk!;):D The only issue I see with your shop is the artwork may have to give way to more tool storage!

Seriously, you have a very nice set-up. As Rennie mentioned it looks very well thought out.
Thanks for taking the time to share. I'll need to study your pictures further to see what ideas I can steal - my shop needs all the help it can get!

Wes

Where was I on the 1st? :dunno:
Kevin, nice shop. It looks like it’s well thought out with all the required tools at hand. Although my shop isn’t shared with any vehicles, most of my machines get rolled out for use. I have been using roll around Delta 50-850, 1½ hp, 110 DC and just connect to one machine at a time. It works for me.
Thanks for the tour. Sorry I missed it the first time around. :eek:

Add me to the list of those who missed this the first time. You've got a nice-looking setup, Kevin. :thumb: What model is the Toy? (I'm only semi-car literate.)

I was in a similar situation DC-wise last year. Should I continue using a Shop Vac and hope for the power (and space and money) to buy a cyclone, or buy something intermediate? I ended up with a "2 hp" (yeah, right) Harbor Freight DC, and added a 0.5 micron filter from Wynn. It may not be a 5 hp cyclone, but it beats the heck out of a Shop Vac.

I will soon have the power upgraded to be able to add a cyclone, but frankly, now I don't have space for one. The Harbor Freight DC is on wheels, so I can move is as needed. I don't see that being practical with a cyclone. My next shop will have better DC, but for now, the one I have is a huge improvement over having nothing.

I guess maybe I just had to nudge you guys a bit. :rofl:

So far, all I've managed to build is various shop furniture - with more to come. I am definitely planning some kind of row of cabinets for the walls, so poor old Cap'n Kirk is gonna have to find another place to overact & score alien babes. :rolleyes:

I have an electrician coming tomorrow to look over my sub-panel idea & work me up a quote - that's when I decide for certain if I live with a 1 1/2 to "2" Horse D.C. with shop-built cyclone (or maybe just a trashcan seperator), or re-wire the place for more power. (Insert Tim Allen grunt here)

The Play Toy? 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP. The Turbo one. 2800 pounds, 260 Horses of Powers. Seriously BIG fun - but it is SOOOooooo not a snowmobile. :p

Sounds like it's going to warm up over the next few days - perhaps I'll even get something done out there. Now if I could just get my sinuses to leave me the heck alone....

-Kevin in Indy

Kevin, I too missed it first go round....

You sure did pack a lot of stuff in that space!!!

great tour, and thanks for sharing

joe

Nice shop Kevin. Looks like you could have some fun in there.

Get a car cover & gain some room.

I once had a toy A creamy yellow 1969 Bonneville Convertible with a black top & 428 police interceptor. Amazingly it would get 21 MPG. But if I stuffed my foot in it you could watch the speedo & gas gage meet in the middle.

My cars are painted to take the elements & have hard tops when I get a Garage it will never have a car in it unless I have a shop building too. The LOML agrees & says I've never had a garage so I wouldn't miss it.

Last edited:
Kevin,

I love the toy and the shop. I like the extra space you have in from of the "toy." My 3rd car garage ends roughly where the front of a long car is. So storing a "toy" or a boat and actually having tools accessable at the same time will not ever happen for me.

In fact, when I first moved in I had to literally put the front license plate of my truck against the drywall in order to fit the rear end in and close the garage door.

I also love the windows in the garage door. It must let a lot more light in.

I echo the kudo's on the TS cabinet. I only have a Rigid portable for now (That's about all the space I can afford for one as well). I love the credit card signs on the TS top.

I also labeld the drawers of my storage cabinets. It does help to know where to throw things when I actually get the time the straighten up after a project.

We are set to hit 60 here in Dayton next Monday, I'm sure the toy will be out and about before you know it!

Kevin,

I love the credit card signs on the TS top.

We are set to hit 60 here in Dayton next Monday, I'm sure the toy will be out and about before you know it!

The C.C. decals were something just laying around (I know - I'm such a pack-rat) and the (Politically Incorrect Curmudgeon) in me just could NOT let that pass without comment. :rofl: That probably explains the "Time Lock Safe - no accessable cash on premises" sign in the back garage door window. :wave: :p

Supposed to be sameish here Monday - 50's & rainy for the weekend - but you know "Taking the Toy out to Play" just doesn't really count if the top doesn't go down. 60 will work for that - rain won't. We'll see.

-Kevin in Indy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kevin :wave:,
Just took aquick tour of the shop. Thanks, I'll be back when I have more time to enjoy it. It looks warm and inviting, a place I'd bet you enjoy very much. Thanks for inviting us in, as I said I'll be back. Need to run of to work. Take care of the "Toy":thumb:.
Shaz :)

Thanks for the tour Kevin. Great use of space and that's an interest to everyone. Even those guys who are cramped in a 30 x 50 building ;-)

Cool job on the CMS stand and the TS cab, or course, very well done.