Thread: a restored # 6 stanley

a restored # 6 stanley

hi all

i took a break from the tool case i have been working on today (waiting for glue to dry ) and decided that it was time to restore my #6 thats been waiting awhile . i bozoed out and forgot to get before pics ...... but heres what it looked like afterwards .. i added a new hock plane blade (a christmas gift) thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #6 restored.jpg   #6 restored.jpg 2.jpg   #6 restored.jpg 3.jpg   #6 restored.jpg 4.jpg   #6 restored.jpg 5.jpg  

what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

AND its a " C " ALSO ! . . .

I've got a "C-Jones " ! Seemed like it was the thing all the yuppie collectors were leaving to the bottom-feeders like me. REALLY NICE ! Did you go with asphaltum japaning ?

hi steve

the japanning on this plane is original ..... i just brushed on a quick coat of shellac to keep the rust away and give it a little protection .

GRIZZLY

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Hey Jim its too bad you did not get before pictures. I would say it was in pretty good shape before you even started restoring it from the looks.Or it could be that you did a really nice job with a lump of rust

Either way, nice addition to the fleet huh? It was even corrugated. I will never own one of those. I did some corrugating of plane soles at Lie Nielsen and it was never a good experience.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

hi travis

the number 6 wasn't a complete lump of rust , but it did take most of an afternoon to get it cleaned up and tuned properly . you know the routine , get out the flattening plate and the silicone carbide grit , spritz a little water and start going in circles and figure 8's to get the bottom flat and true . the sides were pretty close so that part didn't take long . if i didn't mention it already , what a HUGE diffrence a hock blade makes ( thank you ron !) i just got another hock for my #7 and cant wait to try that one too !!

GRIZZLY

Quote Originally Posted by jim capozzi View Post
    hi steve

the japanning on this plane is original ..... i just brushed on a quick coat of shellac to keep the rust away and give it a little protection .
    Hey! I do that, too. The shellac really adds 'new life' to the old japanning, doesn't it?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

hi jim

yes it absolutely does ! i learned that and most of my other resto techniques from ernie conover, in a video he did about restoring flea market planes for fine woodworking magazine.

GRIZZLY

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:36 AM.