Thread: Got Snow?

Got Snow?

Got Snow?

I think Maine has a little. Its actually been a few years since we had this much. We've been getting storm after storm, and its been just cold enough so that its been sticking. This is the second big storm in two days and we have over 3 feet on the ground NOT counting drifts. I got maybe 6 feet on my roof right now so I am thinking maybe a little shovel time is in order.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Got Snow?

I think Maine has a little. Its actually been a few years since we had this much. We've been getting storm after storm, and its been just cold enough so that its been sticking. This is the second big storm in two days and we have over 3 feet on the ground NOT counting drifts. I got maybe 6 feet on my roof right now so I am thinking maybe a little shovel time is in order.
    Travis,

Thank you for taking, and keeping, all the snow in your area.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Drawbar- have a great time on the sled, no river crossings got it?

No Al, I invented the internet.

Does this count? Leftover from last week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snow.jpg  
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

What is this Snow thing that you talk of ??

New Years Day here in NZ

Of course we did have to brave sunburn and biting insects, and the huge crowd you can see on the beach

No.. I dont want to swap

Cheers

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kiwi_New_Year.jpg  

Ah, out chasing the young beach babes, huh Ian? You Souther Hemisphere folks have it all messed up. The sunburn in the winter and snow in the summer. That's just wrong.

No snow here, but we're bracing for a series of three storms that are supposed to be the most rainfall since 2005, when we all nearly washed away in the floods and muds. The recent burn areas are not expected to do well. There's one small stretch of burned hillside I drive by on the way to and from the office that I expect will be in the road by the end of the weekend.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    we're bracing for a series of three storms that are supposed to be the most rainfall since 2005
    Those babies are slated to give us UT folks 7-9" of snow after they get tired of dumping on you CA folks. Or is that just the first one?

Holy Moly 10ft!!

Quote from CNN.com story on CA storm. I've seen warnings (ie travel not reccomended) before but "...will put your life at risk..." is a new term to me.

Forecasters said the Pacific storms could dump more than 10 feet of snow on California mountains by Sunday.
    "Travel is not advised in the mountain areas this weekend. It could be a life-threatening situation for you," CNN meteorologist Jacqui Jeras said Friday.
    "The combination of heavy snow and powerful winds will likely cause frequent whiteout conditions at the highest elevations," National Weather Service forecasters said.
    "Travel in the Sierra will put your life at risk. Extremely high snowfall rates will make it impossible for road crews and emergency personnel to keep roads passable and to assist stranded vehicles."
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff....the reports I saw said up to 10' of snow at the higher elevations ....with wind gust of 150-200 mph possible at the higher elevations.....that'll be some serious weather. I hope the "idiots" are smart enough to stay home out of that stuff! You hate to think rescue crews and highway department personnel have to risk their lives in that kind of weather because "idiots" aren't smart enough to stay at home....
    Ken
    ------

Ken, you have probably seen by now, the reports of the semi trucks that were blown over on their sides on I-84. That is some high winds! Glad I'm not trying to travel to my daughters in Boise this weekend!

Doug