View Poll Results: Sharpening system, what your choice.

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • work sharp

3 7.50%
  • MkII

8 20.00%
  • Stones

10 25.00%
  • Sand paper & glass

9 22.50%
  • other

10 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions wanted! tool sharpening

opinions wanted! tool sharpening

whats the pros and cons of the work sharp vrs the mkII?
    what do you use? stones? paper? or machine?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Sandpaper and marble tile - 1$ a piece at HD and they will make the first cut (in half) for free. What can I say - I'm cheap.

I was looking at the Worksharp just the other day and read a recent review. Maybe - if funds allow - someday.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

larry,
    i said "other"...........learn with any system that doesn`t use guides, once you have your technique down you`ll be able to sharpen with any type of stone or system. it`s like riding a bike.....hurts like the dickens when you crash but before long all you remember is the wind in your face.....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I put sand paper, which is what I use for basic sharpening. If something really needs some work, it'll hit the grinder. Then strop the edge. Stropping makes a world of difference and if you keep your strop handy, you won't have to sharpen as much!

I use sandpaper also. Seems to work best right now. Would like to get something later on to help speed things up a bit.

Bill

I use only flat cutters so sandpaper and glass work for me along with the Veritas MK-II jig ($about $50). My dad has the work sharp (about $200) and when things need more than a touch up I can do a set of chisels in about a half hour a few times a year. Both methods use a registration system so I hae no problem keeping and repeating the angles. On the plates; I'm still working through my first $20 worth of micro abrasives sold as a 'Scary Sharp' set from Tools for Working Wood. If I give a tool a touch up for just a few minutes as they start to lose their razor's edge, they stay sharp and ready for use for quite awhile. Like Rennie, I use a cut piece of 12" x 12" marble for the heavier grits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScarySharpPlates-1.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-02-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

You’re going to laugh…I bought the Veritas® Mk.II Power Sharpening System for SWMBO a few years ago. She briefly thought she wanted to be a wood carver.
    Anyway, I don’t see how sharpening could be any easier than the MK.II.
    Size matters, the Work Sharp’s 6” disk can only accommodate up to a 2”, #5 blade where the MK.II’s 8” disk allows for up to 2-3/8, #7 blade. I use it for my plane blades and chisels and it works like a charm. The build quality of the all metal, Canadian made MK.II is excellent.
    The January `08 issue of American Woodworker gave the Work Sharp “Best Buy” and the MK.II “Editors Choice”
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You’re going to laugh…I bought the Veritas® Mk.II Power Sharpening System for SWMBO a few years ago. She briefly thought she wanted to be a wood carver.
    The build quality of the all metal, Canadian made MK.II is excellent.
    The January `08 issue of American Woodworker gave the Work Sharp “Best Buy” and the MK.II “Editors Choice”
    well dad hasnt let me see the jan isue yet bruce rt now its been stones and paper but was shown the mkII by a couple of elders and was looking that way but havnt decided yet. my wife isnt intersted in one unless it could sharpen scissors real good
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have tried, and continue to try, a variety of sharpening devices and gimmiks. For knives, flat Arkansas stones or the Razor Sharp system. For turning tools, an 80 grit blue wheel or 1" belt sander/grinder, neither of which give the best results I want.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've never used the MkII, and have only seen/used the Work Sharp once - at a demo where they let me try the machine on a chisel.

The Work Sharp worked very well, but since I have a lot of planes - many of which are 4½, 5½, 6, 7,or 8 - which have blades wider than the WS can handle, I didn't find it useful enough for me.

For about the past six or seven years, the Tormek has been my primary sharpener. It would handle every plane iron except the #8, and could be adapted for the 8, too.

Just a couple months ago, they came out with a new jig (about $45) that handles not only all the plane irons, but will even handle things like the 12/112/80 scraper blades, too. I got mine about mid-December and have been using it since then, with the usual good results from Tormek.

For lathe tools, or grinding a whole new bevel, the Tormek is painfully slow. I use a Woodcraft 8" slow speed (1725 rpm) grinder, and a Wolvering setup for that.

Bottom line - the Tormek is the more versatile, but if you're doing only chisels and <2" plane irons, I'd go for the Work Sharp. It really does a good job. BTW, the WS can do wider blades, they just have to be free-handed on the top of the discs.

Okay - that's my (somewhat biased) opinion. YMMV...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!