A wood question

Joan Keeler

O.K. since I just got started working with wood I need your knowledge and adivce. My friends' birch tree just came down in the last snow storm. Here's my questions: 1. Is birch a good wood to turn? 2. If so, what do I need to do to it to start to turn it? 3. If it is a wood to turn are there certain projects that are better to turn with this wood then others? I think thats it for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Hey Joan. Any free wood is good to turn. You don't even need a specific project. If something comes from it, Great! If not, you got some practice, learned about some wood, and it didn't cost you anything! I say chuck it up and get it spinning!:thumb:

1. Is birch a good wood to turn?

Yes, it can be. As Dale said, the spalted stuff looks nice, but if it gets too spalted (rotten) it can become so soft that it's difficult to get a clean cut.

2. If so, what do I need to do to it to start to turn it?

A) Cut the pith part out of the middle of any log sections you can get your hands on, then seal what remaining wood with green wood sealer (like Anchor Seal or Rockler's equivalent). If that's not available, latex paint works in a pinch, too. (It's a great way to use up that leftover mauve paint from the 1980's redecorating binge.)

B) Put a piece of it on your lathe.

C) Hit the switch and have fun.

3. If it is a wood to turn are there certain projects that are better to turn with this wood then others?

Typically, the round projects work best. Squares are so danged hard to do on a lathe. :p Seriously, I don't know that birch is better or worse suited for any specific projects.

Even if all you do is mount a piece of log on your lathe and turn it until all you have is a toothpick, you'll have fun, and get some good tool practice.

Joe,
Is the bottle for before or after the turning is done.. just a drab for medicinal purposes?
A wee dram from time to time keeps me on an even keel ;) Really helps with tool control...

-Joe <- kidding! friends don't let friends turn drunk :)