Lets build a kayak

Jeff Horton

Has not been much interest so I will probably not post much on it here. But I will keep something on my web site. But a quick update anyway.

The search for a Kayak has lead me down a twisted path. I wanted plans for one. Couldn't find what I wanted. Found one close but I thought it was sort ugly. So I wanted to modify it some. Asked about software options to import the boat and just change the deck. Found it and did that. Then I started tweaking the hull some. Started learning more and more and became fascinated with boat design (well already was somewhat).

Now I have finally settled on a design and it is one I ended up designing from scratch. With inspiration from the traditional Greenland boats. Here is the Lines Plans as of last night. I have someone Mentoring me and looking over my shoulder so speak. So we are tweaking the design now but expect to have it finalized in the next week or so.

Will probably order supplies to start building this weekend or next week.

To keep the details it has to be a wide image so I am just linking to the plans rather than posting them.

WREN Lines Plan

I'm definitely interested in following the build. Please post reminders here and a link to where you are posting. The hull design looks pretty good to me!

Nice Fish

A friend sent me this not sure if it is real of made up but either way.

Build it both Real Strong and Real Fast.

There are lotza good swimmers in the ocean, some with very large teeth!

Attachments

• greatwhiteshark.jpg
    greatwhiteshark.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 63
I like it! Really nice, sleek lines.

Will it be strips, stressed ply panels, both, or are you going to use glass? Any way you do it, it ought to be a great looking craft.

Add me to the list of those interested in seeing progress shots - lots of them! - here instead of in a blog. I enjoyed your old iron restoration threads in the past, and of course Marty's workshop 'birth' thread. Something akin to those for the boat would be really neat!

I'm with Jim. Although I may not have anything to add other than attaboys, I'll be following along. My preference would also be to see it here, but I'll understand if you only want to point to your blog. ;)

Jeff,

You can count me in as another interested party. I look forward to observing your progress throughout this project.

I can attest from personal experience that depending on what style of boat you choose to build, this may prove to be a significant challenge to your woodworking skills. I've build three stitch-n-tape style kayaks, two kayaks and one canoe cedar strip style boats, and one 12' lapstrake sailing dory all from offset sheets.

If I may offer some advice, if you don't already own one, do yourself a favor and get a hold of a well tuned low angle block plane and learn to use (and sharpen it) well.

I will definitely follow your blog on this, but don't hesitate to put everything here.

I was following one on another forum and was dissapointed to find that it ended just as the hull was being glassed......

Hi Jeff it will be interesting to see how it goes with your building of this craft. I did something similar with my cedar strip canoe, Took a basic idea and modified it to fit my needs. I think I told you before that I am getting ready to start building my cedar strip kayak in the next few months. I searched and searched before finding the "one ocean kayaks" site and liked their designs and their experience behind their plans. You might want to take a look there if you haven't already. It is a good site. Looking froward to seeing more of your progress.

Drew

....I searched and searched before finding the "one ocean kayaks" site and liked their designs and their experience behind their plans. You might want to take a look there if you haven't already. It is a good site.

There in my book marks and I looked at their plans several times. They do have a good site. Lots of good info there. They have a couple of boats that would suit my needs just fine. None of them had the styling I really wanted. I guess I am just hard to please. :dunno:

Jeff, this is way off topic, so I'll apologize up front. In your avitar, the straps for your apron make you look like you have one heck of a fu man chu!:wave:

Your not alone Jeff in being hard to please. I am the same way. I like some of what is offered at one ocean but that is why I use what they offer as a general template and modify it to make it mine. I still want a skeg in mine and have to figure out how to work that in. I do look forward to seeing how you make out with your plans.

Cheers Drew

Count me in as an interested party also. Maybe you could post teaser pics to this thread and redirect back to the blog so you don't have to duplicate the effort.

BTW, I talked to Bruce Norton before the holidays and he is as good a guy as you said. I've got some more pieces of my RPC coming and am close to getting it ready. Now I just have to get the jointer spiffed up and tuned up.

Bruce was headed home New Years day and dropped by the shop for an visit. He is a very knowledgeable man and loves these old machines and RPC's. I know his RPC's are way more complicated than most you see, but they're the best designed I have seen. I wish I had a way to compare them to the commercial models, but I am betting are at least as good and will out preform alot of them.

Bruce was headed home New Years day and dropped by the shop for an visit. He is a very knowledgeable man and loves these old machines and RPC's. I know his RPC's are way more complicated than most you see, but they're the best designed I have seen. I wish I had a way to compare them to the commercial models, but I am betting are at least as good and will out preform alot of them.

That's really great. Nice he loves those old RPC's. Nothing like a good old RPC. Especially the complicated good old RPC's.
UHhhh.....BTW, wataza RPC? ;) :dunno: