Lets build a kayak

Rotary Phase Converter. In a nut shell, using an old 3 phase motor to generate the "3rd leg" of 3 phase power for running 3 phase machines.

Thanks, Jeff. I won't bug you further. ;) Some of us just have no knowledge in that arena at all. Now I know it has something to do with electricity. What "3rd leg of 3 phase" means is lost on me. Please don't explain as I would never use it anyway.

Paper Dollies

I have done about all I can do to the plans. I raised the rear deck last night. I got to looking at a photo of me paddling another boat and started to think about the height I had. The rear deck was 2" above the water line. While that will work I realized that ever little wave was going to wash over the deck. Meaning it could wash in the cockpit very easy if I was not wearing a spray skirt, which I don't intend on wearing all the time.

So reluctantly I raised the rear deck to about 4" above the waterline. That should make it much drier and add more storage for camping gear. Probably make a HUGE difference in storage.

Also make a paper model to get an idea if the panels would fit together and they did. The ends didn't seem to fit just right. Latter I realized I had the top panels on backwards which probably is why the fit was not right. The bow and stern are slightly different.

I think it's time to order supplies!

Finished the plans for Nicki's boat last night. (are they ever really finished??) It's basically mine scaled down to 16' long. But there are a few other differences that you can't really see without really looking close.

NICKNAK-16_Linesplan.jpg

I have had a lot of concern about the deck height. Kayak should be low to the water. You don't want to bang your knuckles on the deck as you paddle. But you want to keep water out of your lap so you don't have to wear a spray skirt all the time. Higher deck allows more storage and foot room is always an issue. Then your got to "make it look good". :doh: Amazing the hours I have spent moving points on the boat a 1/4' this way and that way.

I hope I have found a compromise. I love the look and I think I have enough foot room. Storage isn't huge but I don't plan on carrying but the essential. My luxuries while camping are few.

Looks like you have a really good design. I wish I knew more about the boat building process, but I am certainly interested in following along with you. I think the lines on your design are very nice.