SketchUp Toolbar

Brad OKeefe

In SU if you select a tool button (let's say the Rectangle button), and then click the Orbit button, the Rectangle button is grayed and it's Draw Menu item is checked. This indicates to me there is some shortcut (mouse action maybe?) to go back to that button but I can't figure it out.

Or is there some other reason the button displays grayed?

Brad

I think I found the answer. If you right click the a blank area while in orbit mode, there is an "Exit" menu item. Clicking that reverts you to your previous button.

Easy enough.

It's a normal thing. This is similar to using the center mouse wheel button for orbit while using some other tool. You momentarily revert away from that tool while using Orbit (or Pan or Zoom) but when you release the button, you go back to using the tool. This is handy when you need to be zoomed in or looking a certain way to start a line but need the view point changed so that you can see where the opposite end of the line will fall. Think about drawing inside a hole or perhaps between legs on a table.

Ah, escape key. Yes that does work also. As for the middle mouse button, that works great on home machine but is intermittent on laptop. Laptop is using a Microsoft Laser mouse and sometimes the middle key will put me into orbit mode sometimes not. Can’t figure out why.

...As for the middle mouse button, that works great on home machine but is intermittent on laptop. Laptop is using a Microsoft Laser mouse and sometimes the middle key will put me into orbit mode sometimes not. Can’t figure out why.
I've got the same issues, also with a Microsoft laser mouse (corded, since wireless mice don't like my metal desk).

Glad (and sorry) to see I'm not the only person with the problem. For me, I've just started using the "O" key to enter orbit mode, then "M" to go back to moving mode.