Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

Might be this is the year I do a major rework of the Dungeon.

I'm really not happy with the way things have evolved, and I want to do something about it. Work is VERY slow right now, so I can put some serious time in on the potential reorganization.

Basically this is what the Dungeon looks like right now..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan_2008_before1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	16103
    Not exactly to scale, but can give you an idea.

I was thinking something along these lines........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan_2008_after1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	16104

Mainly I want to move the lathe to a better spot, and I want to also move the two bandsaws, and the cyclone, and lumber rack....... ugh, this would be a LOT of work......
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 01-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Mainly I want to move the lathe to a better spot, and I want to also move the two bandsaws, and the cyclone, and lumber rack....... ugh, this would be a LOT of work......
    It looks to me like that only one wall would be the same. Even the TS and workbench are spun around...ugh, this would be a LOT of work indeed....but a new video tour would also be in order Good luck with the rearrange/overhaul.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

This reminds me of one of those little number games we used to be given by our parents to keep us quite on long car trips. 16 spaces, 15 number tiles. You moved the tiles around with your thumbs trying to get them all in order. Trouble was you had only the one space to move anything to so it would sometimes take 6 moves to get a single tile to move down one row.

Since you can't move everything out into the driveway, clean the shop, and put everything back in where you want it (a la Vaughn), I envision a monster size number tile game will be happening!

I have one question about your proposed layout - it looks like the planer is hard to get to. Am I missing something in the elevations? Is the MIG un a shelf? Or, is the planer just not one of those tools you use very often?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

The planer is pulled out and put on the benchtop when used.

In each corner of the Dungeon there are these concrete blocks, they are actually the top 3 feet or so of the six pillars that go 7 floors into the ground (earthquake country, remember) to hold the building up if a quake hits. These rob me of my corners and are really a pain, but at least I have a workshop.

Some pics from a while ago........

Standing by the sink looking North, see the two large lumps, the lathe sits between them now.

The South end, the escape hatch and to the right is where the cut off saw, and the two bandsaws live.

The biggest problem with my proposed set up is that the lathe is a long ways from the DC, I don't want that, as having the DC for sanding is REAL nice.

I'm going down there soon, and I'm going to noodle this some more.........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Without printing out your floor plans and studying side by side, I can't see the advantage to switching stuff around. It seems you have eliminated some storage to gain space. And some tools are facing different directions. This would be a left hand/right hand/personal preference thing. Actually, I don't believe anyone can advise you. Shop arrangement is such a personal matter that only you know what will be convenient and comfortable for you. I'm sure my shop would be rearranged if someone new moved in. But, I move around in it like it belongs to me. I'm sure you will let us know what you do.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Stu,

Why not start by just moving your lathe to the position you show in the newer layout, moving the storage cabinets and hand tool box to where the lathe is now. Try this for a while and see how it works. No need to do it all at once, IMO.

Stu,

This is like a small town journalist giving a major poet literary advice, but what the heck...

Amazingly, your shop is about the same size as mine (although the extra two feet in width make a big difference). Because mine is so small, everything is on wheels, and that gets tiresome. If I weren't so lazy (or so pressed for time), I would make the entire west wall one long bench, about 26 inches wide. Embedded into the bench, I would have my planer in the middle (so I could plane an 11 foot board if need be), as well as my scms, band saw, router table, drill press, mortiser, etc. I'd put a lengthwise groove in it, so I could have a drop in fence. If I needed to use the bench as a bench, I could pull out the fence, the scms, mortiser, etc. I'd have the vise built in somewhere, and maybe a fold up hinged contraption so the bench would turn into a large flat assembly table. I'd have my tablesaw on casters in the middle. On the other long wall, I'd have my welding area, lathe, and other stuff, as well as lumber storage. That would leave open room in the middle for set up/ knock down other activities (finishing, photos, etc.). And some open *me* space: I need enough room to turn around so I feel comfortable. The short walls would be mostly storage.

It seems to me that would be the best use of space in a small shop like yours or mine. The "put everything on casters so you can reconfigure your shop every time you need to do something" *is* practical, but it means I need to reconfigure my shop every time I need to do something...

Thanks,

Bill

Beavercreek, Ohio-org from Mendota Heights, MN
    Stu,

Your dungeon is about the same size as my 3rd car garage. It may be off by a foot or two in each direction, though. I took your video tour and I'm impressed. I like the hatch entrance from the perspective that you aren't losing wallspace to a doorswinging inward. Although with the sawdust and the welder down there I was wondering if you had any exhaust equipment set up down there?

I like the idea you had in the before picture of having the router, SCMS, and bandsaw against the same wall (Bill's comment I believe). I also liked the compressor and the DC in that one corner int he before layout because it is the farthest away from you most of the time with their noise level. BTW - have you considered placing the DC and AC them in the floor or garage above you with a switch to turn them on/off mounted on your wall or ceiling?

I noticed you added a lumber rack, too. And it's difficult to comment on the storage areas from the pictures since I do not know what you have in each of them. I can't remember from the video tour what's in them at the moment and I cannot get the video feed at this computer.

I'm also not sure the drill press is best suited in it's new location, but I'm not sure where else you would put it.

My shop is not as sophisticated, has mostly portable-based or job-site tools, and doubles as storage for other household stuff right now. I'm hoping a shed this summer and a house-wide clean out on spring break with teh family will help the storage issue. But for now I have to drag everything in and out to use it. This year I'm hoping to make some workbenches and a portable swap-out bench-top tool holder.

My hat's off to you for looking to improve and taking the time to do it!

For everyone's ability to view your shop layouts side by side I created one single image from your two, but I do not have a website to post it, so I cannot link to it from here. Sorry.
    ~Scott

The grass is always greener over the septic tank.

Stuart, I know how you feel. After much thought, aggravation and frustration -- My new years resolution is that I am not allowed on my lathe until my shop is finally organized. That means a major disassembly, rearrangement, and re-organization! My goals are to:
    • Consolidate work benches and storage space. I'm taking storage cabinets off the wall and mounting under workbenches. This frees up floor space and wall space (for pegboard), and utilizes currently wasted space.
    • Use machine bases, under machines for storage of accessory's. This frees up general storage space and eliminates movement across the shop to get an accessory.
    • Store items, tools and supplies closer to where they are used.
    • Establish well organized and efficient lumber storage areas.
    • Finally get my dust collection system user friendly and efficient.

Its a grandiose undertaking but If I don't do it I'll continue to fumble around and not have as much fun and satisfaction a well (or at least better) organized shop can offer.

Plan it out well, learn from past experience and GO FOR IT !!

Tony, BCE '75

Thanks for the input guys, and while you are right, Frank, that it is an each to his own, I'm always amazed at how often a new set of eyes on a problem can see things differently.

Right now my biggest problem is the lathe is in a lousy spot, it really is, and it is the tool that I spend the vast majority of my time in front of, so it makes sense, to me, to do something about that, first.

Bill, please don't ever stop giving advice, or you take on stuff, I always appreciate it.

Greg, I will not be able to do it "All at once" but I do have to have a plan, as things will be like Rennie said, the tile moving game

Scott, some great ideas in there, the two bandsaws are on wheels, but the TS is not, I'm going to fix that problem as well, and I'm thinking having a three dock spot, and just roll over one of the three tools I need to a "Use" spot, but when all three are docked, I'd have that space.

I'll post a pic later, I need to hit the hay now, but I think I have a solution.........
    William Arthur Ward