Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

Stu, your cabinets are great. I just don't see how you can squeeze much more out of your space as right now it is about as efficient use of space as can be done. It just goes to show quality work does not have to come from a 40'X60' shop.

Looking good, Stu. And yeah, I can see that there is still plenty of de-cluttering ahead. Boy, that old photo of the empty dungeon with just the TS in the middle looks SO different!

Hmm, slab doors on this, and frame/panel on the last one? I thought you were going for a consistent look? :huh:

You mentioned plans to move the metal rack into the annex. How much storage can you fit in there? With that hatch in the back, I would guess it is NOT exactly convenient to get in there.

And on a side note... you've mentioned before that the annex is also your emergency 'alternate exit' path. So there must be another set of stairs plus another hatch over there also? Since parking is so precious and expensive in your building's main floor, does that rooms hatch come out under a car?:eek:

Stu...I think Art is asking a little to much info on how to get into the Dungeon without you knowing. :rolleyes: Maybe he has his eyes on Big Blue or Kermit and he has a trip planned to Tokyo?:rofl::rofl::p

BTW can you claim a piece of Old Arn as a carry on item for international flights?:dunno::D

I'll post a pic later, I need to hit the hay now, but I think I have a solution......... :D

I know when I was re-woking my shop it would feel as though it were taking over my very existence so let me toss this out there . . . Go Stu, Go Stu, you'll feel great when its done, atta-boy, etc., etc.

Yep, taking over my sleep and my dreams even! :eek:

This is more addicting than spin-crack!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes Art, the escape hatch goes to the Annex which is full of stuff, and the hatch for the Annex does open up under a parked car, but it would give me some time, or at least that is the plan.....:doh:

Slab doors this time out, I'm going for a "Git-R-Dun" look :D :thumb: I'm also trying different styles and methods, might as well get some practice in on this stuff!

Next might be paint grade with MDF raised panels :D :wave:

Cheers!

OK Pics.........

next_to_router_table_on_wall.JPG
Here is the cabinet screwed to the wall, and the handles on there too.

next_to_router_table_on_wall_open.JPG
Doors open, the shelves in this on are on adjustable pins.

next_to_router_table_on_wall_filled.JPG
I started to move stuff over from the wire shelves, didn't take long to fill it, or nearly fill it :D :wave:

Cheers!

The tile game continues...... :doh:

On to Phase Three, the "East Wall".....

I got the wire shelves emptied........:thumb:

Boy there was a LOT of stuff on them, and a lot of JUNK!

These DEEP shelves are not a good idea, for me, the stuff at the back just kind of stagnates and you don't even see what you have back there, and getting to it is a pain, so you don't....

wire_shelves_empty.JPG
I've got to knock them all apart, and then I'll start on the sheet good stand first, move my sheet goods and then build the new cabinets that will go on this wall. Should give me better storage, and some more floor space too:thumb:

So most of the wire shelf stuff went over by the lathe......

where_is_my_lathe.JPG
..... yes, the lathe is still there..... somewhere......:rolleyes:

I was actually surprised at all the turning stock I still have :eek: though a lot of it is the dreaded concrete like Red Keyaki...... :bang:

I was about to skip the Dungeon tonight, I have to admit, this job is getting long, I figure I'm only about a 1/3 of the way through it, and interest was waining, sure glad my lathe was not wired up tonight, the temptation was strong, but now, the lathe is truly out of commission for a while, so I'll just have to git-r-dun :D :wave:

Cheers!

Stu, I'm shure your lathe doesn't mind the lay-off. Maybe it can make friends with the "dreaded concrete like Red Keyaki"....stay strong, you know you'll be glad you stuck it out to the end once your done. :thumb:

Stu, that looks like its shaping up real nice and it will be much better when you are done.

You could always take a night off to rest up, because I am pretty sure that stuff will still be there when you come back the next day. ;)

Sometimes, getting away for a day or 2 is good for the soul. Don't work on it when you're not motivated to. Otherwise, it becomes work instead of joy, and that's not what you want to think about when you head to theDungeon. Jim.

Don't worry guys, it is not work yet, just at that middle stage of a long project, where it is just as long to the finish as it is to the beginning, not much I can do but keep on trucking, so I am :wave:

I have my turning club coming on the 27th, so I got to git-r-dun :D :thumb:

Cheers!

I got the wire shelves out of the Dungeon today! :thumb:

no_more_wire_shelves.JPG

I did figure out one thing, I'll have to put the sheetgoods rack next to the sink, not next to the stairs, as I need 90cm (3') of space for the rack, and the same space to pull out a sheet of plywood, next to the stairs, I do not have that space the sheets would hit the workbench.

Still it is a minor adjustment, now I get to design some cabinets to go around stuff, and to cover up my hideous electrical panel too!

I've been thinking about getting a "Real" panel and replacing what I have, cost a bit of money, but I guess I should do it..... :huh:

Cheers!

yeah it is Drew, kind of retro huh :rolleyes:

All perfectly legal, I had our local electrician check it out.

Until just recently, most homes did not have a "Real" panel in them, as they would run only 3 or 4 circuits in a house, yeah really, sure small houses, but come on :doh:

In the last 5 years or so, I've seen more and more houses being built with a dozen or more circuits, as people have started to demand it, also more power, most houses came with 20 Amp services :eek: sometimes 30 Amps :rolleyes:

So if you had your AC on, and the fridge kicked in, you blew a breaker.......

Cheers!

Just so you don't think I'm too full of it........

This is on auction, used.........

30_amp_service.jpg
30 Amp service, built in 1993, you will notice it is just a plastic cover over a piece of plywood. :rolleyes:
Yep, 30 Amp house service with only 2 circuits, and one for expansion :rofl: :rofl:

Recently, this kind of thing has become available.........
new_service1.jpg new_service2.jpg
This one is on auction too, about $120 right now, might bid on it.

I also found this one.........
40amp_service1.jpg 40amp_service2.jpg
It is only $10, but two days to go.

Cheers!

Yep, I can back up Stu up on the service...and funky "service panels"...

However, Stu, this is the kind of stuff a subsidiary of my old company does.

View attachment 16489

View attachment 16490

Schools, public building and commercial building controls, including software development. I am going to get my house/shop electrical stuff from them when I move back to Japan this year. Probably not on the same scale...:eek:, but with more than a couple of circuits in a plastic box...:rofl::rofl: They have a full metal fabrication shop, so I should be able to come up with some neat stuff.:thumb:

View attachment 16491

I Should be able to get sockets, wire, meters, switches, the whole thing wholesale. I taught English to a bunch of the employees there, including their current president, and had a great time with them. We had lunch together and then the lessons. I've been emailing him the last few days about possibly building me some inverters to kick 100VAC to 120VAC...and maybe some 220VAC boxes.

Last edited:
I did figure out one thing, I'll have to put the sheetgoods rack next to the sink, not next to the stairs, as I need 90cm (3') of space for the rack, and the same space to pull out a sheet of plywood, next to the stairs, I do not have that space the sheets would hit the workbench.

Hmm, just how much space do you have? What if you built the sheet goods rack on a slight angle? [It takes up more space then, but if you really prefer the original location...

Hmm, just how much space do you have? What if you built the sheet goods rack on a slight angle? [It takes up more space then, but if you really prefer the original location...
naw, I looked at that too, but...... :dunno:

I do have another idea, just hit me....... :D

I'll have to post a pic........:wave:

Oh yeah, I'm fooling with Sketch Up, and this is the next cab I'll be building, it will go beside the hand tool cabinet......

su_east_wall_tall_cab.jpg
I know it is nothing difficult or complex but for me it is a first, as I'll use the dimensions from the drawing to built the cabinet.:thumb: