Dungeon Overhaul..........In Progress....

Gee Greg is that a reel to reel computer memory bank? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Stu I would be concerned with a dust build up in the electrical panel as it looks like it is all exposed? What does your insurance company think of the shop in the dungeon with your fire insurance? Do they know? what happens if you did have a fire and it was caused by the over load and/or dust build up in your existing fuse box? Do they have regulations there, governing situations like this? How can you tell I live with an insurance agent. :doh:

Drew

Drew, I'm not going to answer you question, which, in itself is an answer :rolleyes: :D

OK, here is my idea........

lumbercart1.jpg
First, here is the original idea, with the lumber rack in this orientation, I would not be able to remove or insert any sheet goods, as the distance between the lumber rack and the workbench.

lumbercart2.jpg lumbercart3.jpg
So instead of moving the lumber rack to the right, over by the sink, I would just turn it 90 degrees, and then put it on wheels, make it a lumber cart :D

One other thing I can think of that would be a nice thing, is I'd get all of the side of the lumber cart as wall space! :thumb:

With some well made, sturdy casters, non-swivel type, this should work............

Thoughts? :dunno:

Cheers!

Looks like a good plan Stu, but instead of casters maybe rails? :dunno:Might be a fun welding project? :huh:Of course then it couldn't be moved anywhere else if needed...just thinking out loud.

Well the problem with rails is that I'd trip over them all the time..... :rolleyes:

I think it will be good, only has to slide sideways about 2 feet :dunno:

Cheers!

Hi Stu That sounds like a great idea with the lumber cart. The light bulb just went on in my head and you have just solved a problem that I have been toying with in my shop. Thanks. The lack of wall space is something that I am having trouble dealing with too. I agree with the casters, I would go with the swivel kind as I think they would allow you a bit more flexability for future adjustments to your shop. Just a thought.

Well, I had a real good look at it, and I'll not be putting the lumber rack on wheels there by the stairs, it just eats up too much of my cabinet space along that wall. I'll be better served by having the lumber rack beside the sink..........

lumbercart1a.jpg
.......something like that.

Oh well, it might have worked, but this will be better! :rolleyes:

...With some well made, sturdy casters, non-swivel type,...

Stu

I would go for all swivel type castors. Loads of things in my shop are on castors (basically everything that isn't on a pallet!!) and most of those are on fully swivelling castors. If this was a machine where you are exerting a push or pull there might be a case for fixed castors but as a storage cart, you will be grateful to be able to move it at will in any direction that you need, especialy if you intend to use the sides of the cart as hanging space. If you are really worried about the ability to make the thing stand solidly still then buy locking castors, the bigger the better.

Edit - just read you later post. If I were you I would still put it on castors anyway, gives you more options at any time.

Last edited:
With some well made, sturdy casters, non-swivel type, this should work............

Thoughts? :dunno:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I like it! Keeps this near the stair, which you wanted, and gives you wall space for jigs and things. AND it gives you access to both ends of the sheet good storage. Whenever I see people designing sheet good storage, it seems like the ones with access to both ends just look more versatile.

It'd be nice if something like this came with a heavier weight rating, as I wonder if it would slide out easier.

Well, the near the stairs option, sliding out or stationary was not going to work, I did do a mock-up........

sliding_lumber_rack_mouckup.JPG

Those boards are only about 55cm wide, the cart would be 80cm wide, but the problem is that the space between the back of the cart and the hand-tool cabinet becomes really small, so I loose a LOT of storage space.

Thus, the lumber rack will go beside the sink, (see the pic in post #87) but I will now be putting it on casters, like Ian suggested, and full swivel casters at that. I very much doubt that the lumber rack will get moved around much, but having the ability to move it, is a good thing. I also happened to have 6 casters that will do the job nicely on hand, why 6? Well they are a bit on the small side, and 4 would have been pushing the limits, with 6 I should be fine.

Thanks to you all for your input, it made a difference, and helped me. :thumb:

I have to say, it was a lot of work, getting something this big together and keeping is somewhat square etc, in my small space was a challenge, but it is done.............

rack_done1.JPG rack_done2.JPG
..........and is already darn near full! :doh:

Now on to the cabinet over the hand tool cab, and the cab that will go between the hand tool cab and the stairs.

I'm out of the 15mm plywood, need to buy some more!:wave:

Cheers!

You will love having that wood storage. Many times the simple things that we do around the shop yield the long term benefit that make our time there so much more enjoyable.

Thanks guys!

I did some noodling and some drawing, and I need 12 more sheets of the 15mm plywood, I have a total of 5 more cabinets I'd like to make, better get a move on, the 27th is coming fast! :eek:

So Only 5 More cabinets to make? So What are you doing on here reading this? Get back to work :rofl::rofl::rofl: The cabinet looks great Stu. How do the caster work for moving it around? Do you have any plans for using the side of the cabinet yet? Maybe a place to store small clamps? Or saw blades? Just some ideas to throw out there.

Keep up the good work. The 27th is just around the corner.

Drew

OK two more done, well the boxes are done, I'll do that shelves and the doors later, I have to get this done!

east_wall_cab1.JPG east_wall_cab2.JPG
Here is the cabinet on the East wall, just next to the hatch area. I'm thinking of putting drawer like shelves on the bottom half of the cabinet, like some of you put in high end kitchens :D

north_wall_cab1.JPG
Here is one of two cabinets that will go against the North wall, I'll get it's twin made tonight. Again, doors and shelves later :D

I'm winning, but it is becoming a slug fest, and I'm unusually busy for a January at the Day job :doh:

Cheers!

Stu the cabinets are looking great and that is a great way of going with the bottom shelves. Personally my favorite thing to do with any lower shelves. I don't kneel as well as I use to. Something to do with age I guess :doh: See you are becoming a good flat worker :thumb: Oh and that is a nice looking fuse panel. that you picked up (other posting). :thumb:

Thanks Drew, I think it is a good idea with the slide out drawer like lower shelves, I bet I'll keep things more organized (I'm thinking stuff like boxes of screws) and I'll have full access to it all.

Cheers!

PS got the next cabinet built!

I have found that building them like a basic drawer box helps lots. That way you can stack screw boxes utilizing all the availible space without screws or other things falling off the back of the shelves when you pull out the shelf. :doh: It is a bit more work but it pays off in the long run. :thumb:

Yep, that is my plan, I figure that I'll make the backs around 4" tall, and the fronts maybe only 2" tall.

Here is the second of the two "Behind the Bandsaws" storage cabs......

north_wall_cab2.JPG

These two are just going to get simple shelves and doors, as they will be more of a "Deep Storage" place, as access to them involves moving a bandsaw.

Got three more to build, maybe four :wave:

Cheers!