Drill Press Vise

Tony Falotico

Been looking at a drill press vise to improve my boring skills by holding the workpiece firmly with no movement. debating the standard 4" vise ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5902 ) vs. a more sophisticated cross slide vise ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5512&cs=5902&pcs=fam ).

Seems with the standard you would have to loosen it and re-position it continually. Possibly a lot of unnecessary hassle?

Question is -- does anybody use one? How well does it work and what suggestions do you have? Also, which one do you suggest?

Thanks, Tony

I use a machinists vice, purchased at the big bear store. Mine provides two-way adjustments. I'm told that is called 'X-Y' in machinisteese talk. It is a valuable tool on my drill press making for accuracy and keeping my fingers away from the sharp moving part. I paid about $45.00 for mine. Wise purchase, IMHO.

X / Y . . .

I looked at a LOT of X/Y vises AND plain machinist's vises. Dads a tool & die maker and advised that if your working wood and not worried down to the thousandths opt for a mid priced vise with two way ( X/Y ) slides. Got one at Harbor Freight for $ 45.00 ( I think ). Bolts to the drill press stage easily so you can throw it on and off fast. Works very well for my aplications but you might want to consider the clearance on the bottom for yours. The legnth of the work peice sticking out the bottom of the vise is limited with the X/Y gears / spindles running through the vise. Just a consideration wich may not apply.

Tony,

I would also go with the X-Y vice. I have one that I bought years ago from Grainger and it's been great on my 22" drill press. I even do light milling with it too. (My drill press is real heavy duty) I think the ones like the red one in your link are a bit lighter but would do good for you. I paid over $120 for mine about 14 years ago. And mine doesn't have the double clamping jaws on top like that one (only one movable jaw & screw). That feature might be handy.

I would also consider buying that white "angle vise" too. I don't have one but have said to myself many times, "I need to get one of those" after setting up an angled hold with the vise I use. It would be a lot easier and more accurate with the proper vise. The price of that one ($39, I believe) is pretty good.

Aloha, Tony

I got the Bitmoore vise when I got my SC DP a little over a month ago. I haven't even unpacked it yet, but I expect it to be a great addition to the DP.

By the way the Steel City DP is a great tool.

Karl

I've got both, use both too.

The simple little vice is good for smaller things that you don't want to hang onto with your hand, the X-Y or cross slide is nice for when you want to drill a hole exactly where you want it. I do a fair bit of metal bashing as well, so I really do appreciate the accuracy of the X-Y vice

Kerry, I had the same question, but finally found www.bitmoore.com Look's like it's a brand name. I'll check the one at HF. Like you say, they look identical.

Stuart, Lowe's has the Wilton version of the simple 4" vise for $20. So having both is not unreasonable. :D (I got Lowe's gift cards) :D

Tony, I've been looking at the angle vise also. Limited use though. If it will accurately set and hold parralell to the base, it could double as the simple vise. I'll be looking at it also. The $20 Kerry saved me is half the cost -- :thumb::thumb:

Thanks all, you have answered my basic question -- they are usable in a wood shop.