Let me see your router bit storage!!

Jim O'Dell

I'm continuing to work on my router table, and just need to put about 3 more coats of finish on the cabinet and drawer faces. I also need to decide how to space the bits. I will have 2 drawers for bits. Each drawer will have a raised platform with a top skin of 1/4" BB ply that the receiving holes for the bit shanks will be drilled into, with a layer of solid insulation board underneath to cushion the bits to keep them from rattling against the bottom of the drawers.
How much space do you have around the bits to easily (and safely!! :rofl:) extract them from their resting place? I know the big panel cutters will need more room. Or do you drill your holes on a standard grid and just leave some empty ones around the big bits? Any and all ideas are welcome. Let me know what you have that you like, don't like, or would do different. THANKS!! Jim.

I would go with a standard grid to provide fexibility as your collection changes. As for how much room between to allow safe grabbing; that will be self evident ;-)

I use Plano parts boxes made from a plastic about the consistency of a coffee can lid so I'm no real help. Rockler's look to be on about 2" centers:
25063-01-200.jpg

Attachments

• Bit-Storage.jpg
    Bit-Storage.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I use the plano boxes as well. My father-in-law has a couple of drawers built in to his cabinets with inserts that have about 3" spacing, just a 3/4" board with 1/4" and 1/2" holes.

Thanks, guys.
Shaz, I've got a racket (actually wife and I have matching ones) but haven't picked it up since the late 70's. Do you have some special spacing method that uses one to mark the bit locations before drilling? :huh: Jim.

Three of these drawers:

Drawers in mobile cart -small.JPG

in the mobile cart that I use for my router table (among other things) are used to hold router bits. Here is a photo of the interior of one of the drawers:

Drawer with router bits -small.JPG

The holders that are screwed to the drawer bottom come from Lee Valley (as do most of my router bits).

Last edited:
OK, my shameful non-system, system. Shaper bits (I don't even own a shaper) are in boxes in an old cabinet. Router bits are in the very expensive :rolleyes: wood cases they came in as sets. Likewise, high priced items. The sets were, like, $12.95 each, making the bits under a buck a piece. But they are carbide and cut fast and clean. I can't gripe. I keep all on a shelf in the old cabinet.

Attachments

• bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 106
Three of these drawers:

View attachment 16153

in the mobile cart that I use for my router table (among other things) are used to hold router bits. Here is a photo of the interior of one of the drawers:

View attachment 16154

The holders that are screwed to the drwer bottom come from Lee Valley (as do most of my router bits).

Nice link Frank! I'm designing a router table and think those bit holders will be a great way to hold bits.

Doug

I built a double drawer to fit in my Woodpeckers router table. I designed it to slide open from both sides so I would have full access to all the bits without having to buy and install slides. I drilled holes to fit both 1/4 and 1/2 inch bits and epoxied inserts I bought from Router Bit World. I'm not sure how true it is but I was told that it isn't a good idea to store bits directly against wood because of moisture and the plastic inserts would prevent that.

Attachments

• bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 93
  • bits1.jpg
    bits1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 94
  • bits2.jpg
    bits2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 62
Jim,
I use these, from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50697&cat=1,46168

They're especially handy, since they can be easily rearranged when new bitts are added to the collection. I just made the drawer bottoms in my router table cabinet out of ¾" ply, and screwed the holders directly to them.

They've worked great for a couple years, now. I keep a couple extra packages of them on hand, for my ever-expanding collection of bits.

Jim,
I use these, from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50697&cat=1,46168

They're especially handy, since they can be easily rearranged when new bitts are added to the collection. I just made the drawer bottoms in my router table cabinet out of ¾" ply, and screwed the holders directly to them.

They've worked great for a couple years, now. I keep a couple extra packages of them on hand, for my ever-expanding collection of bits.
Jim, those are the same holders that I used.

And the same ones you posted about earlier, Frank. :eek: :D (Sorry Jim, but I had to tease a little after Frank's response)
I have seen the Rockler foam one on line that Glenn posted a picture of. Didn't realize it was foam from the picture. At 6.99 each with places for up to 25 bits each, that might just work. I could make 2 of those fit each drawer with a little adjustment. I do like the Lee Valley ones in that you can space them just like you want. But my drawer bottoms are already installed and only 1/4", and they would cost about 25% more. Hmmm. Guess I could go look at PVC pipe for something that is 1/2" ID or slightly larger and sink them into the wood I already have cut and ready to install. (still easily removeable) That would keep the bits from sucking moisture from the wood. I already have the foam insulation board in place for the bits to sit on instead of resting on the wood drawer bottom.
Thanks for the posts everyone. I've got a lot to think about. Jim.

Thanks, guys.
Shaz, I've got a racket (actually wife and I have matching ones) but haven't picked it up since the late 70's. Do you have some special spacing method that uses one to mark the bit locations before drilling? :huh: Jim.
Hi Jim :wave:,
Nice thought but I have another solution, slightly unorthodox but I think rather sporty.
One more try, creative minds never stop with the first thought.:D
How was the show?
Shaz :)

Attachments

• Sat jan. 5 004.jpg
    Sat jan. 5 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 111
Sorry, no pictures. Most of my router bits live in a wooden cabinet that was used to store a fiber optic scope before wood was banned from the ORs. Inside it is about 2 1/2" deep 12" wide and about 30" tall. I put little cleats in on the sides and use some pieces of 3/4" thick MDF with holes drilled in them to hold the bits. This cabinet hangs on the end of the "Mother of All Shop Cabinets". <booming reverb> :D

Nice thought but I have another solution, slightly unorthodox but I think rather sporty.
One more try, creative minds never stop with the first thought.:D
How was the show?

You want me to go rob some little girls mega party tea set????? Uuuhhh, I don't know about that...:rofl: Yes keep the creative juices flowing!
Thanks for asking about the show. We placed 3rd in the Open Bitch Class. Some very nice girls who have won Major point shows beat her, so we weren't totally disappointed. She showed well, and had fun. And I had one of the best hamburgers I've had in a long time on the way home. If you're ever in Granbury, Tx. stop at Grumps on the north side of town. Great food, Great service, even though it's a little unorthodox for a hamburger joint. Jim.

You want me to go rob some little girls mega party tea set????? Uuuhhh, I don't know about that...:rofl: Yes keep the creative juices flowing!
Thanks for asking about the show. We placed 3rd in the Open Bitch Class. Some very nice girls who have won Major point shows beat her, so we weren't totally disappointed. She showed well, and had fun. And I had one of the best hamburgers I've had in a long time on the way home. If you're ever in Granbury, Tx. stop at Grumps on the north side of town. Great food, Great service, even though it's a little unorthodox for a hamburger joint. Jim.

Glad you had such fun at the show. I bet she was the cutest girl on the block... with inexperienced judges:rolleyes:...Had people that lived in Granbury, may go there sometime for burgers, Grumps...Right?

Think :huh:...Tennis balls :eek: , and exercise extreme caution when cutting!!!!!!!!!!!
Take care and love the dogs!!!!!:thumb: