Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traded my truck in...

Traded my truck in...

... on a new Escape for LOML. 'Traded' is funny word in this situation, because it's almost always more of a 'GIVE it away'. In this case, I know they got me because the wholesaler came over and wrote a check while I was still there. And yeah, I know I coulda got more by selling it myself.

Anyhoo, this will be the first time 'truckless' for me since 1994. I've said before that I'd never be without a truck again... but the gas prices are killing us, and it's a simple matter of economics. Also easier to do it knowing my FIL's truck is 300 feet up the driveway. I'll drive the older Escape, and immediately cut my monthly Exxon-Mobil contribution by $150. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post

Anyhoo, this will be the first time 'truckless' for me since 1994. I've said before that I'd never be without a truck again... but the gas prices are killing us, and it's a simple matter of economics.
    This is the first time in my life I have ever been truckless too. I have a 40 mile commute to work (one way) and thus fuel economy was just killing me. I bought (and all of you feel free to laugh) a Ford Focus and I could not be happier. I am saving 80 bucks a month of fuel costs alone. The surprising thing is, I like my car. Its comfortable, rides nice (no bouncing on these back roads) and is just a nice all around car. We have a Toyota Highlander too that enables me to get lumber and that kind of bigger stuff. I miss my truck from time to time, but its nice driving by gas stations all week!!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

A Texan with out a truck? thats like chicken soup without the chicken
    I'm lucky. the wife only commutes about 7 miles each way. On the days that I do work 2.5 miles.

Well, I got you beat, I only commute about 60 meters to the L shop, and I drive when it rains
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Traded my 4-Runner in earlier this year when we had the new baby to get my wife a Sienna van. I now drive her 2002 Rav-4. at 35 mpg I can live with the razzing from my buddies.

Heard on the news over X-Mas that they are predicting regular gas to go up by $0.65 per gallon by spring, putting the national average at $3.60 per gallon.

Randy

Just so you know, we have been over $6 US for a US gallon for a LONG time here in Tokyo
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Just so you know, we have been over $6 US for a US gallon for a LONG time here in Tokyo
    Considering the cost of everthing else in Tokyo that sounds like a bargin.

A Texan without a truck? They might exile ye to Mississippi.
    I'm wanting something smaller for everyday driving but sure would keep the Dodge. Wife has a Ford Focus station wagon, I want one of those also. Lessee, now, three vehicles for two old retired people on fixed income???
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Getting ready for retirement, the wife and I had a conversation a couple of days ago about something similar. We'll probably sell our 5th wheel and I'll get rid of "Bruiser"...my 1990 F-350....4X4.....460 Cuin....4:10 rearend 5-speed manual p/u. It's 11 mpg...up hill...down hill...into the wind....with the wind....loaded..unloaded....with the 9,000 lb 5th wheel trailer or without....11 mpg.

But I'll probably get another p/u.....maybe diesel....4X4.....I drive 4 miles to downtown Lewiston and drop 800' in elevation....getting up the hill in the winter sometimes...it helps to have 4x4...
    Ken
    ------

Got rid of the P/U a few years ago too. The P/U just sat in the driveway as I have a city car which I use 95% of the time. LOML has her own and I have an Explorer we drive when we both go somewhere together, the "go'n out" car. the poor P/U only got used for lumber runs and the like about once or twice a month. It was just rotting in place really and costing me money to boot! With insurance, inspection, registration and maintenance it was costing me about $500 a year and I was usually driving it less than 250 miles a year. At about $2 a mile it wasn't very cost effective! I sold the P/U and picked up an enclosed 7' X 10' trailer with the proceeds. Best move I ever made, virtually zero costs now. The only cost I had had was the one time permanent registration/tags which ran $56.

The enclosed trailer keeps an road grime off the lumber or whatever I'm hauling and the weather is no longer a concern. As a bonus, the trailer also doubles as a storage shed when no it use and doesn't take up any more space than the truck did.

Mike