ShopNotes Stool

Dave Richards

Anyone thinking of building that stool in the recent ShopNotes? Looks like a nice project although too nice for my shop.

stool_op.jpg

Hollo Dave,
I'm new here, I wonder if you can tell me about Shopnotes. Is this a subscibtion mag. If so how would I go about joining. I am looking for a project mag. Thanks

Hi Brad, take a look at http://www.shopnotes.com/ It is a magazine that comes out every other month. There's almost no advertising and it is very well done. They even punch holes in it so you can stick them into a 3-ring binder. There's a comapnion publication called Woodsmith that has a similar look but different projects.

Dave,
I saw that and thought the same thing - much too nice for my shop!:rolleyes::D My latest issue wasn't punched for the binder. Oversight perhaps?

Wes

I need a stool in my shop really bad. Thats doesn't look like a bad project. But I assume those are metal bands? I prefer it all from wood, simpler for me to make. I don't get shopnotes, but I have in the past. But I like that.

Jeff, I was thinking about replacing the steel foot rest pieces with laminated wood pieces. I haven't figured out exactly how I would join them to the legs. Maybe mortises and tenons?

Dave -

Perhaps make the laminated footrest bits into an entire circle, with a notch - and notch the legs. Glued up I'd think that would work fairly well.

Worth looking at, anyway.

-Kevin in Indy

I just cheated for a shop stool; I took an old roller top outfeed support, removed the roller, cut the roller bracket down, screwed on a chunk of MDF, contact-adhesived on some foam and sometime I'll actually make a cover.

I got a nice heavy cast base and easy height adjustment for free! And of course, at a pinch I could probably still use it for outfeed support.

I think Kevin might have a good idea.

Dave, a simpler way might be to just cut a dado in the legs and make four pieces and let them rest in the leg.

Of course I am looking for simple when it comes to shop furniture. That would take some time to make.

Last edited:
Hi Wes, I had to go find my copy to see but it is punched. Maybe you got the special edition. :D

I'll not worry until they leave the pages blank and suggest it's a DIY publication.;)

On the stool - could you make a full wood ring and slightly "notch" it to drop down over the legs?

Just a thought. It would leave the leg integrity intact, and create a joint that might work visually as well.

FWIW, Wes

I'll have to draw that up. Would you guys do a ring of laminated veneers--basically like a big mast hoop? Or would you saw out sections, maybe two layers with staggered joints?

Stool2MLT61.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

That would be a nice looking stool, but I would be concerned about the way those metal foot rests are mounted to the legs. They would remain parallel to the floor, for a while, but I think with constant loading they would surely droop over time. The junction between wood & metal would wear and those bolts would loosen up.

I think a laminated disk/circle with notches to fit the inside of the legs and dowels, then glued to to the legs. (I wish I could draw up what I am talking about but I know nothing about Sketchup, yet)

Just MNSHO.

Aloha, Tony

Thanks Tony. Keep in mind it isn't my design. I just drew it as it is shown in the magazine.

Looking at the geometry, I'd have to disagree about the footrest wanting to pivot downward. The bolt arrangement (90° to each other) would be simlar to putting hinges on adjacent edges of a square box and expecting it to open.
View attachment 16296

Last edited: