SketchUp Printing

Brad OKeefe

When I edit a component, I have SketchUp set to hide all other components so that I can look at details of the selected one.

What I wanted to do next, was print just that component, but when I click Print Preview, SketchUp shows all components. I know I can drag the component away from the others and print that way but wonder if I'm missing a setting somewhere which would allow me to just print the selected component when in edit component mode.

Thanks,

Brad

Place the components on different layers. Then you can turn off layers as desired to hide those elements you want.

Please, before you start working with layers, read this and this. It is very easy to get your model all balled up if you don't handle layers properly.

Dave you sent me that info which I now use as it is written. But it seems strange that when you load a new file into sketchup it comes up with layer0 and layer1 and layer1 is set as active. Seems like they should change that or is this a user set value.

Keith

Keith, when I open a new file, I only get Layer 0 and it is of course the active one. It sounds to me as if you've got a template that already contains a Layer 1 and that it is checked to be active.

Do this: Open a new SU session. Open the Layers dialog box. Make Layer 0 active. Select layer 1 (highlight its name) and click on the (-) above the layer names. Click on the black arrow that points out to the right and choose Purge Unused from the menu. Close the dialog box. Check to see what the starting template is called by looking under Window>Preferences>Templates. Close the Preferences box.

Now, using Save As... save the blank drawing in the Templates folder under its name. That's the one you saw in Preferences.

From now on you'll only have Layer 0 and by default, it'll be active.