Where to get color reproductions

Hi Folks :wave:,
There are two paintings in my possession I would like to reproduce, then sign and number and offer for sale. They are about 4' square and simple but nice, I think. They are painted on hard board in water based paints. Where would I go for the best color reproduction for something this size? Would it be a lithograph, a photograph or what? What grit paper would be good for longevity?
Just kicking around an idea:rolleyes:.
Houston has alot to offer but I figured I would ask people I trust first.:D
Shaz :)

My son just had several of his photographs printed on genuine artists canvas and they look great. They are large, about 2'X4'. I'll ask him where it was done and let you know. One thing I do know....ain't cheap.

Below is the link and message my son sent. Understand, he can be a bit cryptic. But, he might be right about them wanting to do business only with professionals. He is an avid amateur but probably sends them a fair amount of business. I did a quick look-see of their site, definitely geared for the pro.
Good luck.

http://www.cpq.com/
but I'll have to order them with you unless you can convince them you're a professional photographer and will send them enough business to allow you to use them

Below is the link and message my son sent. Understand, he can be a bit cryptic. But, he might be right about them wanting to do business only with professionals. He is an avid amateur but probably sends them a fair amount of business. I did a quick look-see of their site, definitely geared for the pro.
Good luck.
http://www.cpq.com/
but I'll have to order them with you unless you can convince them you're a professional photographer and will send them enough business to allow you to use them

Hi Frank :wave:,
Thanks for the link and the offer to assist. Thank your son for me too:thumb:. I will try looking around this area for a similar type operation. Appreciate your "chase":)....S

I looked into doing the same thing last year for my wife's drawings.

We talked to several places in Lubbock, Tx. The consensus was that it was possible, but they needed a minimum order of 250. At $10 apiece, that was a bit stiff for us.

So we shelved the idea for now.

Hi Matt :wave:,
Thanks for the feedback. Knowing that it is a doable deal is the first thing to consider, then it is the cost. How large were your wife's drawings?

Robert, depending on the numbers, seriograph, lithograph, or serio-lithograph is the way you want to go for this sort of thing. I'm not an artist (but LOML & I are collectors) so I can't give you any advice on where to get it done, but a local gallery should have some leads.

Shaz,

Don't know if this will work, but I've ordered several ebay "fine art prints". The best of these are not on giclee on paper, but rather the image is actually printed on canvas. When done well, they look great. I've noticed, when ordering, some of the vendors say 'if you can't find what you're looking for, let us know'... thus implying they can make a canvas print of anything for which you have a good quality photo. Might be worth looking for such people on ebay...

Just a thought,

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Robert, depending on the numbers, seriograph, lithograph, or serio-lithograph is the way you want to go for this sort of thing. I'm not an artist (but LOML & I are collectors) so I can't give you any advice on where to get it done, but a local gallery should have some leads.
Hi Billy :wave:,
Thank you for your valuable input. These titles like seriograph and the serio-lithograph are new to me but I shall chase this down. Thanks again!:thumb:
Robert alias Shaz :)

Shaz,

Don't know if this will work, but I've ordered several ebay "fine art prints". The best of these are not on giclee on paper, but rather the image is actually printed on canvas. When done well, they look great. I've noticed, when ordering, some of the vendors say 'if you can't find what you're looking for, let us know'... thus implying they can make a canvas print of anything for which you have a good quality photo. Might be worth looking for such people on ebay...

Hey there Bill :wave:,
Thanks for the input. So many avenues to go down and those like you and Billy mentioned where not two that I had thought of. I need check it out and educate my self, it is worth the shot.
Thanks,
Shaz alias Robert :)

Just a thought, ( good one :D...S)

Thanks,

Bill

It is enlightening to receive your input to something that up until now I have no real useable knowledge of. With the input each of you has offered I am so much farther ahead of the game than left to my own doings. Thanks,

We have a local company that does really nice, poster sized, color prints. I went in yesterday to get quotes and see sample papers. Unfortunately, the owner was out and the help didn't know anything about prices or products. (which I thought was strange) The store is IMAGE N THINGS. No web site. Telephone is: 870-424-4674, e-mail: imagenthings@centurytel.net

We have a local company that does really nice, poster sized, color prints. I went in yesterday to get quotes and see sample papers. Unfortunately, the owner was out and the help didn't know anything about prices or products. (which I thought was strange) The store is IMAGE N THINGS. No web site. Telephone is: 870-424-4674, e-mail: imagenthings@centurytel.net

Thanks Frank :wave:! When you said posters you got me thinking, remembering the pen swap that was going on, I thought it might be nice to swap posters of our work here in the forum. You know the Studley tool box poster.:rolleyes: Well I have seen some of the bowls and hollow forms that could be marvelous posters/ framed under glass hung in galleries or on the wall. That may actually be more lucrative than selling the original.
PS I will try to call those folks when I get a minute free, just for some info.
Thanks again,
Shaz:)