American Federal Period Desk: Installment 1

Thanks for the pics, Chris. I like the dancer jig idea.

Also, seeing the dual-bearing reeding bit helped make sense of how the router reeding thingy works. Question: As you move the router from one end of the piece to the other, do you try to keep the router at 90º to the piece, swiveling the base of the reeding jig as you go, or do you keep it square to the lathe?

Kurt and I are in route now. Be careful what you offer trout bums...:thumb:

Doc....I need to get you and Kurt out here for a little fly fishing on the Lochsa River and Kelly Creek......Native Western Slope Cutthroat trout....catch and release only but.......20-40 fish per day isn't unheard of for experienced fly fishermen.....I've got a couple of retired Marine friends who do quite well on those streams.

I've got a 26' 5th wheel that can be parked in one of the numerous Forest Service campgrounds. I'll warn you though....I bought it for my wife and her idea of roughing it is camped in a campground where we don't have electricity to use the air conditioner or the microwave...:rolleyes:

BTW....I'm not much of a fly fisherman.....I tie my own flies and slap the water, however.

Question: As you move the router from one end of the piece to the other, do you try to keep the router at 90º to the piece, swiveling the base of the reeding jig as you go, or do you keep it square to the lathe?

Hi Vaughn,

Since the reeding bit is following the piece and the bearings are in charge of keeping things in line I just push the router down the leg and don't worry much about anything else. I do make certain the jig base remains flat on the ways of the lathe.