First Hollow Form

Gari Biasillo

Hi Guys,

I turned my first Hollow Form last year but have only had change to photograph (albiet poorly - sorry!) and post picture of it. It signifies the last piece I will turn on my Rockwell Beaver as I am now the proud owner of a Nove DVR XP! Woot!

The body is Maple Burl and the Finials are Claro Walnut with dimensions of around 7" by 14".

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

Thanks for looking!
-Gari

That's your first? :eek:

Beautiful form and that wood is gorgeous! Good looking finial, too.

Do you have a more straight on shot so we can see the profile?

Great looking HF Gari. I really like the choice of woods that you used. If that is any indication of your talent, I can't wait to get the pen you are making.

Bobby
Louisiana

Thanks for the responses guys! I neglected to mention that the style is inspired by Cindy Drozda's work.

Neal: below is another shot, which is more of a side view. Porr lighting but it's the best I could manage :(

The finish on the maple is Tung Oil. I let the first coat soak for an hour, wiped off the excess, then applied a second coat and let it sit overnight. I then used the Bealle buffing system to complete the finish. The finials were finished with EEE then Shellawax.

IMG_0322.JPG

Gari, that looks fantastic!

Sure is a nice piece of wood, and you did it justice :clap:

I'm sure you will a bit sad to see the Delta/Beaver go, but I'm just a sure you will LOVE the DVR-XP :wave:

Again, nice work! :thumb:

I'm sure you will a bit sad to see the Delta/Beaver go

Yes, it's been a great servant, which is why I wanted to give it a good fairwell project. She's still sitting in my garage - I'm not sure if I want to sell or harvest it's motor and build a mini thickness sander. I'm just waiting for you to build one and post a step-by-step how-to guide :rofl: