Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going................Down.............????

Going................Down.............????

I'm often asked how I get my "Stuff" down into my own personal hole in the ground......... the Dungeon.....

Well, I went to Joyful Honda (My FAVORITE DIY shop) and picked up a few sheets of plywood, and MDF, for building cabinets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little_van_loaeded.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	16242
    Now, let me explain this picture, the van is a mini van, little 3 cylinder 660cc engine, and by Japanese standards it is OLD, 1991 vintage, and it has about 120,000 km on it or about 72,000 miles (almost all of them Tokyo City miles) but this little truck still can do the work, bought it used over 4 years ago for about $1500 or so, good little truck. Plywood is usually 91 cm x 182 cm or about 3' x 6'.

I got home and started my drop to the Dungeon.....

Name:	base_board.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	16243
    I have a 2x6 that just fits into the hatch, there is a kind of lip there, so the 2x6 cannot move when in place.

Name:	stack_n_strap.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	16244
    I then stack the plywood on the 2x6, and put a long strap around the stack, centered, and hook it up to the electric hoist...........

Name:	going_down.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	16245
    Lift up a couple of inches with the hoist, move the 2x6, and get ready for the controlled decent.........

Name:	touch_down.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	16246
    ..... we have touchdown!

This is one thing I used to do by hand, no more this is MUCH easier

I'm going to build the new sheetgoods rack just to the side of the hatch, this way, sheetgoods go down and then I only have to move them about 1' to their parking spot!

Well, now you know!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Is that how your going to get 15 guys down there for a lathe demo on the 27th? Seriously though working in a tight space like you do takes a lot of thinking. Kudos to you.
    BTW I also have one of those 660 cc cars and I put some roof racks on it and it becomes my wood hauler. Light on gas too.
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 01-07-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Stu.....That sure seems like a lot of effort. You really must be addicted to work under those conditions!
    Ken
    ------

Addicted, yeah, I guess so, beats the heck out of sitting in the pub all day!

Hey Alex, where did you get your contractors saw?

I'm looking to replace my tablesaw at some point.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu I bought mine through Yahoo Auction. At the time (in my limited knowledge) there were few options for 10" contractors saws. Now I would probably go a different route. I would also most likely get a hybrid saw. FWW magazine just rated the Woodtech Hybrid best overall TS. This saw is available through Woodworkers Supply who I have bought heavy machinery from a couple times. The thing I have learned is no matter how hard you try you can't get imported machinery cheap here so you may as well pay the overseas shipping.

Domo!

I'll look into it!
    William Arthur Ward

Doeytouchthemustache.

Pretty slick. Have you ever dropped anything?
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Stu I hope to see a pic of the 15 guys down in your dungeon. how will you all move around down there? Inhale and everyone take a step to the left?

I really like that mini Van. Hmmmm wonder how the shipping would be to get one of those here? No I don't want to know
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Hey Alex is there an explanation behind " Doeytouchthemustache." ?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............