25200 chisel mortiser review

Steve Ash

I commented on another thread about buying the Steel City 25200 chisel mortiser, so I thought I would give my expierience using it.

First off, I had no prior expierience using one of these so I was going to be "self taught".

Assembly out of the box was very easy, I am one of those that dreads the words "some assembly required" but I found this tool to be vey easy to put together.

The unit comes with 4 chisel/bits, I chose the 3/8 bit to make my mortises, I found the bit to be very sharp and it sliced through red oak with ease. I must have made about 200 cuts, and expierienced no problems. Operation was a breeze.

I like the adjustable knobs on the base to keep the work tight against the fence, the extendable wings are also a nice feature although I didn't use them.

When I assembled the joints they were flawless, a credit to the tool not the operator. If I were to make one change or addition thus far, it would be to add a adjustable light fixture like my drill press has. I'd like the work area to be well lit up to see the markings better, something I will address on my own the next time.

I paid $279.00 for the tool and it currently comes with a $40.00 rebate.

At the end of the day, making those mortises, I stood back and admired the tool and was very glad to have bought it. I would highly reccomend it to anyone considering the purchase of a chisel mortising machine.

Crib isn't done yet Larry, you know that I'm not as speedy as you are.

Busch, Busch Light, Bud, Bud Light....my mother in law retired from a Anheuser Busch company so I got to keep supporting her.:rofl:

Computer is getting fixed as I type Stu, so pictures are coming.....till then I am using this dad gummed laptop:type:

Crib isn't done yet Larry, you know that I'm not as speedy as you are.

Busch, Busch Light, Bud, Bud Light....my mother in law retired from a Anheuser Busch company so I got to keep supporting her.:rofl:

Computer is getting fixed as I type Stu, so pictures are coming.....till then I am using this dad gummed laptop:type:

Well, Steve, speaking as a stockholder of Anheuser-Busch Co.s, I thank you as well! ;)

...till then I am using this dad gummed laptop:type:
My question is what is your dad doing gumming your laptop? Can't you get him a teething ring or something? :rofl:

As I mentioned earlier, the mortiser is one of the tools that may sit idle a lot of the time, but for the projects that need them, they sure are handy. :thumb:

thanks for the pics

looks like you got it down pat there steve, might lookin into steel city toolworks myself one day. i am sure aiden will be very content in your crib you made.:thumb: