Trial piece of Elm Burr

Chas Jones

This afternoons effort, I have quite a few blanks worth of Elm burr that I cut out of some slabs over the weekend and before I start tackling the larger pieces I had a shot at this smaller piece to get a feel for its potential.

Can't make up my mind whether to leave the stuff as is, warts and all, or to fill in the voids.
If I fill I tend to go for darker wood debris to blend into the piece, but a little bit of me thinks that it might be worth going more arty and use brass filled epoxy or similar. (some of the voids are considerably bigger than those in view):dunno:

Attachments

• DSC02653.JPG
    DSC02653.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 63
Chas, I really like the form on this bowl. I think I would leave it natural, but that's pretty wood either way you go. Maybe do another small one filling the voids and start a poll thread here to help you decide.:dunno:

Chas....I'd leave it as is. Nice form ...gorgeous wood.

I'm finishing a maple burl NE right now. I'm leaving the voids as they add character IMHO.

Nicely done sir!

I agree with the others, Chas. I really like it as it is and can't imagine how filling the voids could improve it.

Of course, I was wrong about something else once. Now, what was that......?:rofl::rofl:

I think I'd also leave it as-is, but it would also look good with the voids filled, too. (I'd probably use charcoal dust and epoxy or CA glue.)

Thanks for the input guys, I am erring on the leave well alone myself with the rest of it unless there is a void in the most inconvenient place.

Have started the new year breaking one of last years mid season rules that took hold after I was admonished for hoarding anything not prepared for use as turning stock, am again hoarding all the bits of strongly figured off cuts of no use for turning as such with a mind to use them as highlight inserts, (Need more boxes:eek:)
I think metallic filling with brass or pewter might be in order then.