Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangling Cord?????

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Dangling Cord?????

The sky hook "I" beam is up, and I am stumped.

I have an electrical outlet on the ceiling close to the beam. I am going to hang a chain hoist "and" the 1300 lb. electric hoist from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2954

My room is 24 foot deep. My question is what do you folks do to handle the drooping cord as the hoist travels the length of the beam?

DT
    Last edited by Don Taylor; 01-07-2008 at 11:55 PM.

Oh, man! I gotta get me one of those! No more lifting sheet goods! And those big blanks for the lathe. Oh, man... I want one now!

Thanks,

Bill

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Not knowing if the outlet is to one side or in the middle you could run a plastic covered cable like clothline the length of the building close to the beam. Then loop the electical cord around it in 2ft coils. A bungee can be attached at the top of the coils to return the cord to the outlet side when the hoist is returned to that side. Use a bungee between each coil. So there will be a bungee between coils 1 and 2, other between 2and3 and so on.

Don, I seriously doubt you'll find many of those in home shops, but as to your question I would consider the following:

1. Some sort of retractable gadget that will reel it in and let it out as it travels.
    2. Some sort of 'shower curtain' set up that has hooks holding the cord every five or so feet, that slides along a rail??

A sliding door (like Norm has on NYW) has a wheeled roller that slides on a rail that holds the door. Maybe some sort of modification?

OR -- maybe someone knows of something simpler !!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

I wondering if you couldn't take a conventional cord reel and disable the part that locks it in place??
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

How about cord loops (your choice on the length of the loops) zip-tied to shower curtain rings and the rings allowed to slide on a rope/wire cable/rod/etc.?

Just a thought............
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I wondering if you couldn't take a conventional cord reel and disable the part that locks it in place??
    Thanks everyone,

Doug, this is what I would like to do. I wonder if the outlet being near the center of the room would allow that to work?

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    +1. Unless the cord is designed to be bent & unbent over and over (and over), I'd feel more comfortable with the gentler, larger diameter "bend" provided by a cord reel.

Not sure what issues you may have with the reel spring though, especially if it's a strong one. You might have to provide some kind of strain relief on the business end ... but you'll probably want to do that anyway.

How about using colied cord?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Are there any electrical cords that are coiled like a cheap air hose? The cord reel is probably the best thing to do. We had them on the electric doors at the previous job. They carried the current for the door sensing contacts (probably low voltage). Not sure why they did it that way, but it did work. If you have it mountd in the center of the track, be sure the reel is on a swivel so it can turn the direction the hoist is going. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3