Box (finger) joint jig for router table

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

When I posted the new router table pics, I've shown the way that I made this jig and now, I would like to show the actual usage.

With the method that I used, it took me very short time to cut the fingers because I'm cutting all the 4 boards in one pass and then, just turn the boards and cut again.

The 4 first pics, are showing the jig from different directions.

I used 10mm (3/8") bit.

Regards
niki

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg004a.jpg

005.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

Niki,

The moving fence centered by the wheels is a very innovative idea! :thumb:

I have a few questions for you. Is surface of your router table laminate flooring? If so, how to you like it? Also, what type of wood were you using to make the box in your demo?

Great Work as Always! :clap:

Another great series of pictures, Niki. Thanks for taking the time to post them. :thumb: I really like your idea of having pre-cut bit locators that fit into the slot in your router table top. :clap:

I took the liberty of moving your picture of the fourth cut. It had been accidentally placed in the wrong sequence, so it was showing after the picture of the blowout you had on the last cut. That worked, but I was unable to fix the broken link on the last picture -- Attachment 16360 -- it looks like the upload failed on that one picture.

Thank you so much

Garry
As you could see, my router table is also just a board on a workmate...

Sean
If you go the "New router table" post you'll see the construction of the sled and the laminate flooring (floor panels)
My "love story" with the floor panels started some 3 years ago when I made the flooring in the living room, I noticed that I'm "skiing" on them and said to myself "HDF, covered from both sides with Formica and 15 years guaranty for walking on them...they must be good"... I made from them router auxiliary base, CS auxiliary base, Sawbox (CS guide), covered the router table and even TS sleds ....they are 5/16" thick and come in 2 lengths - 50" and 100" (perfect length for CS guide).

The wood that I used for the box, is kind of Balsa that in Japan they told me that it's special wood for drawers that does not expand with humidity...Maybe Stu Ablett or Alex Reid will step in and tell both of us how it's called.

Vaughn
As you noticed I have two kinds of "locators" one for the "bit - fence" distance and the other one for "bit - fence stop" distance.
It takes some time to make them because each locator is for only one bit diameter but....I had to make it only ones, and it makes the bit-fence and the bit-stop positioning "piece of cake" (I have pics of "how-to").

Thanks for moving the picture...I even did not notice:eek: the last picture is not so important, just shows another angle of the box.

Best Regards
niki

I like your jigs very much ...I just wish there was a way to download your picture presentations quicker than having to click on each picture...would you have any ideas on that....thank you

Thank you Jerry

And...Welcome to the forum

I'm sorry about the pictures. I can upload them in full size directly from Photobucket but I attach them like that because a few members here are on "Dial-up" connection and it takes them very long time to open the pics.

If you are using Firefox browser, you can Right click on each pic and "Open link in new tab"...like that, you can open 5 or 10 pictures and than just click on the tabs.

Regards
niki

the way you do your pictures and all the work you do for this forum(I have been watching your work from the beginning I have just never posted)is great...dont change anything......I will work on it myself and when I get an answer I will pass it on to the forum for whoever may want it...thanks again and GREAT work on your part