Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redux 1984

Redux 1984

Well the boys on the left coast are at it again. I heard on the radio today that there is a movement in California to give the utility companies the right to remotely set your thermostat at what the company thinks it should be. It is promoted as an authorization to be invoked in an emergency. Can you say global warming?

It is crap like this that gives substance to the saying about California: what ain't fruits and nuts are flakes.

Do you love Big Brother?

I predict someone will soon be selling a device to be mounted around a thermostat that will warm/cool it to get around this "service."

Heh heh. That reminds me of an office incident years ago ... back when WordPerfect was still headquartered (and coded) in Orem.

The thermostats in my particular building were in the corner offices, and there were no manual controls on them. My manager (in a corner office) kept complaining about how cold it was (must have been Winter) and how he couldn't adjust the thermostat himself.

One day he got the bright idea to get a Popsicle from the kitchen and just lay it on the thermostat box. It seemed to have the desired effect (the heat came on) but before long he had to eat -- or otherwise dispose of -- the Popsicle. A few of us were in his office 10 or 15 minutes later, when someone from the facilities group came to check out what appeared to be a defective thermostat.

WE weren't about to rat on the boss with him standing there, and HE didn't volunteer anything, so the poor guy went away none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Well the boys on the left coast are at it again. I heard on the radio today that there is a movement in California to give the utility companies the right to remotely set your thermostat at what the company thinks it should be. It is promoted as an authorization to be invoked in an emergency. Can you say global warming? ...
    I sure haven't heard of this movement, and I seriously doubt it will take place in my lifetime. I don't see people letting this happen here, even though I do understand the "emergency" they are trying to address. (Power shortages in the summer.) Not sure how this ties in at all with global warming, though. They had power shortages out here long before global warming became an issue.

And you might be surprised at the number of us (sorta) regular folks that live here. We're the ones that you don't hear about on the news. They need a fair number of us here to keep the fruits and nuts in line.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, it's already happening here ... on a voluntary basis in the summer.

Here's one paragraph from Rocky Mountain Power's [Cool Keeper info page]:
    Sign up for Cool Keeper and a device will be connected to your central air conditioning unit. On selected summer days when energy demand soars, the Cool Keeper device receives a wireless signal. This signal tells the device to turn your central air conditioning unit off and on, lessening the strain on the power system.
    They sure try to make it sound good, but I dunno:
    • No charge for installation (or removal, if it comes to that)
    • $20 credit each summer
    • Only applies June through August, never on holidays or weekends
    • A/C is typically turned off for a few minutes per half hour, 2-8pm, selected weekdays
    • "Cool Keeper activation will have little or no impact on your comfort. Some customers report the change in temperature is only 1 to 3 F."

Ah, another rumor to bash California with. I love 'em. I do have the do-hickey that let's the Electric company turn off my Air Conditioner if there is too much load on the grid in my area. I get paid $x whether they use it or not and I get $X+Y if they do. They credit me $X+Y about a half a dozen times a summer. Best part is, I never turn on my AC
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I should clarify a bit...I've heard of this being done on a voluntary basis, but not that the utility companies would have a right to do so without your approval.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I sure haven't heard of this movement, and I seriously doubt it will take place in my lifetime. I don't see people letting this happen here, even though I do understand the "emergency" they are trying to address. (Power shortages in the summer.) Not sure how this ties in at all with global warming, though. They had power shortages out here long before global warming became an issue.

And you might be surprised at the number of us (sorta) regular folks that live here. We're the ones that you don't hear about on the news. They need a fair number of us here to keep the fruits and nuts in line.
    Well we could save you a lot a money if we just cut the lines from Washington to California you know those hydro electric lines .

When I lived in Imperial Beach CA. they were going to raise the rates so we started BBQing & for I think somewhere around a month shut off & unplugged everything we could & they lost way more then they would have gained with the rate jump.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-10-2008 at 01:45 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Well we could save you a lot a money if we just cut the lines from Washington to California you know those hydro electric lines .
    The NorCal people would probably not be too happy with that, but down here in SoCal I think we get most of our power from Boulder Dam. So much for "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", huh?

workingwoods.com

Cali can be blamed for some real winner ideas. Take trucks for instance. We got bridge law formula from CA.

Explanation of Bridge law

I can see the point of it but have you ever been in Pittsburgh or NYC with a 48 foot trailer?