Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Gloat gone bad

Tool Gloat gone bad

I just wanted to complain to someone about my tool headache.

I bought what I thought was my dream (relatively) TS when I brought home my brand spanking new Hitachi TS. I had read rave reviews about how well built and durable it was. It had a powerfull 3hp(or so it says) motor and is belt driven with a super accurate and heavy duty fence.

It looked all it had boasted it self to be.

When I finally got it together (simply putting the base table together and attaching the raising and tilt controls) I turned it on only to see and hear this thing shake rattle and roll like a Mack truck going through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears with a full load.

Needless to say I was very disappointed. I immediately lamented my decision to buy this saw instead of the Ridgid counter part I had coveted for years.

I contacted Hitachi via email and they agreed that this was not normal, (duh) and that I should take the saw to a service center.

I felt a little better but still did not relish the thought of carting the gosh darn heavy saw onto my wifes van.

Fast forward several months. After a prolonged bout with my back pain and being diagnosed with 4 degenerative disks in my back and neck and a more serious than normal struggle with depression I am now starting to set foot in the shop again and am facing the prospect of taking the saw to the service center.

I took a look under the hood and determined that the mechanism which holds the motor and pulleys, basically the armature, is loose and rattles. Additionally, the pulleys are not lined up vertically to each other they are slightly of planar by about a 1/2"

Anyway, just wanted to vent.
    Last edited by Julio Navarro; 01-10-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Julio, that just sucks, and I'm surprised that the Hitachi saw is so bad, as all the Hitachi tools I have are very good, but that does not include a table saw, so who knows.

If I were you, I'd ask them to take it back and to get your money back, go buy the saw you want, and be done with it.

Nice to see you back around here again too!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I am this far from doing that , Stu. And youre right I love HItachi. I have two routers, drills, grinders and they are built like modern tanks. Thats why I bought the saw.

Julio,

What Stu said! If it's not what you wanted, send it back! A tablesaw is supposed to be a thing of joy. I'd hate turning on the lights in the shop and facing a disappointment every time. Life's too short for that kind of thing!

Thanks,

Bill

A large number of Ridgid owners seem very satisfied. Does your Hitachi also have the non-standard miter slots? That would be just one more reason to take it back and get what you wanted originally. Nothing against Hitachi, they make great stuff. This just might not be one of their best.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Julio,
    I'm not sure which Hitachi saw you have, but a friend of mine - several years ago - bought what was then their top of the line Tablesaw, and it was really nice. It had a very good fence, and was very smooth-running. It had plenty of power, and with it's included wheeled stand, was pretty heavy, but still easily considered 'portable.'
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitachi.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	16473

heres the saw. It has standard mitter slots on both sides of the blade and a cast steel top. The base and wheels are heavy duty.

I think I just got a bad one.

Sounds like someone, in the factory, forgot to tighten the nuts and bolts.

Hopefully, you will get this resolved quickly. I do have a question though.

Did you get documentation, from Hitachi, about sending it back to a service center? I ask this because it has been several months since you first placed a claim.

I hope things work out for the best!!!!

joe

Good to see you drop in, Julio. Real sorry to see you're having problems with your new saw. I was seriously considering the same saw when I got my Ridgid. It looks like a good saw (although the 3hp 110v motor is pretty much marketing talk). If Hitachi doesn't make you happy, as Stu said, take it back and get the one you want. (And if it's another Hitachi, that's great, too.)

Consider it a temporary setback, not a stop. In the end, having a nice TS will be worth the trouble you're going through now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hello Julio;
    Good luck with the saw. About the back problem, I recently had back surgery, I had Interior-Posterior Spinal Fusion. Sounds a lot like what you will go through. They replace detererated disk with plastic wedges and fill the wedges with bone from your hip.They also install a 8in. titanium rod on both sides of spine and bolt them togather. I seem to be in more pain now. I had 5 disc out. I suggest anything other than this surgery. The depression seems to go with the injury. Good Luck, I feel your pain.