Does it have sense ?

Hello,
I am attaching an article´s abstract and
I want to ask for your help.
Could you please tell me my english mistakes?:eek:

Best Regards
Alfredo

Integration and forecasting of wind power in the Mexican electric power system.

Wind power is undergoing the fastest rate of growth of any form of electricity generation in the world. In 2005, Comision Federal de Electricidad (CFE, network operator in Mexico) initiated the construction of the first large scale wind farm in Mexico (83 MW). The wind farm began its operation at the beginning of 2007. Additionally, the Mexico’s energy ministry (SENER) has programmed the construction of other 507 MW of wind power capacity in the same region in the next years, hopping to have installed 592 MW in 2010. The Mexico’s Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) has authorized several self-supplying projects using wind power technology. They will contribute 1924 MW to the Mexican Electrical System in the year 2010.

These capacity additions of wind generation have produced an interest of CFE to have some tools that help to integrate in a reliable way these wind power units. An important tool for this task is a short-term wind power forecasting system.

The IIE (Mexican Electric Power Research Institute) has initiated the development of a system prototype for short-term wind power forecasting. The prototype is based on a combination of several statistical forecasting models. A similar scheme to the Sipreólico model is considered, where linear regression and nonparametric models are considered and the number of forecastings and their weights are time variables. The prototype uses the output data of the MM5 model and historic databases. In this paper some results are presented and analyzed of the system application.

Hola Alfredo,

"The wind farm began its operation at the beginning of 2007. Additionally, the Mexico’s energy ministry (SENER) has programmed the construction of other 507 MW of wind power capacity in the same region in the next years, hopping to have installed 592 MW in 2010."

The only odd usage I saw in the abstract was this use of "programmed". From the context, I'd suggest substituting "planned" if construction has not started yet, or perhaps "initiated" if it has. I'm sure there are other synonyms that would work as well (this is not my strongest field!:D).

I sure couldn't write that in Spanish!:rofl:

One more (after I posted the first, of course)
"In this paper some results are presented and analyzed of the system application."
Might flow a bit better like this:
"In this paper some results of the system application are presented and analyzed."

Last edited:
I dont see all that much wrong with it. Even the mistakes are understandable, but I think I'd change these:

Integration and forecasting of wind power in the Mexican electric power system.

Wind power is undergoing the fastest rate of growth of any form of electricity generation in the world. In 2005, Comision Federal de Electricidad (CFE, network operator in Mexico) initiated the construction of the first large scale wind farm in Mexico (83 MW). The wind farm began its operation at the beginning of 2007. Additionally, the Mexico’s energy ministry (SENER) has programmed the construction of other (change to another) 507 MW of wind power capacity in the same region in the next years, hopping hoping to have installed 592 MW in 2010. The Mexico’s either The Mexican or just Mexico's Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) has authorized several self-supplying projects using wind power technology. They will contribute 1924 MW to the Mexican Electrical System in the year 2010.

These capacity additions of wind generation have produced an interest of CFE to have some tools that help to integrate in a reliable way these wind power units no real errors but integrate these wind power units reliably might be a bit smoother. An important tool for this task is a short-term wind power forecasting system.

The IIE (Mexican Electric Power Research Institute) has initiated the development of a system prototype for short-term wind power forecasting. The prototype is based on a combination of several statistical forecasting models. A similar scheme to the Sipreólico model is considered, where linear regression and nonparametric models are considered and the number of forecastings and their weights are time variables. The prototype uses the output data of the MM5 model and historic historical databases. In this paper some results are presented and analyzed of the system application. of the system application are presented and analyzed .

Hi Alfredo -

Very good job. :thumb: I only see a few things I'd change. Here's my version:

Integration and Forecasting of Wind Power in the Mexican Electric Power System

Wind power is undergoing the fastest rate of growth of any form of electricity generation in the world. In 2005, Comision Federal de Electricidad (CFE, a major power distribution network operator in Mexico) initiated the construction of the first large scale wind farm in Mexico (83 megawatts). The wind farm began its operation at the beginning of 2007. Additionally, Mexico’s energy ministry (SENER) has planned the construction of another 507 megawatts of wind power capacity in the same region in the next several years, with an anticipated total capacity of 592 megawatts installed by the year 2010. In addition, Mexico’s Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) has authorized several self-supporting projects that will use wind power technology. These projects will contribute another 1924 megawatts to the Mexican electrical system by 2010.

With the addition of this capacity, CFE has an increasing interest in acquiring tools to help integrate these wind power units into the distribution system in a reliable manner. One important tool for this task is a short-term wind power forecasting system.

The IIE (Mexican Electric Power Research Institute) has initiated the development of a system prototype for short-term wind power forecasting. This prototype is based on a combination of several statistical forecasting models. A scheme similar to the Sipreólico model is being used, where linear regression and nonparametric models are considered and the number of forecasts and their weights are time variables. The prototype uses the output data of the MM5 model and historical databases. This paper presents results and analysis of the application of this system.

-------------------
Will that work for you? I made a few assumptions based on what you said, but if something is not correct, I'd be glad to re-do it for you. This abstract currently has 269 words. If there is a limit (say, 250 words), let me know and I can help trim it up. I do this type of thing for a living. :type:

It's interesting that this comes up today...Travis Johnson was talking about using weather forecasting to control his home heating in this thread.

He must be sleeping in..... Or busy, hard at work :eek::rofl:
I should have been hard at work sleeping. :zzz: I hit the sack at about 5:00 this morning, but was back up at 8:00 to move things out of the way so the electricians can finish things up today. (Woo-Hoo!) I plan to catch a catnap or two today in addition to writing screen text for a new version of one of our software products. I need to make sure I'm rested well enough to go play in the shop this evening. :D

Nice work, Vaughn. I had it up on my screen, but had too many meetings today. Came back to my desk to do it, and you'd already done a better job than I could have. No wonder they pay you the big bucks... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hmmmm..."(SENER) has planned the construction of other 507 megawatts of wind power capacity in the same region in the next several years,"

I agree with Doug, though, that "other" should be changed to "another"...No? :huh:

Hmmmm..."(SENER) has planned the construction of other 507 megawatts of wind power capacity in the same region in the next several years,"

I agree with Doug, though, that "other" should be changed to "another"...No? :huh:
Good catch, Greg. I've edited my version to reflect the change. That's what I get for editing on 3 hours of sleep. :doh:

One more from Doug's post....

"The prototype uses the output data of the MM5 model and historic databases. (change to:historical databases.)

We know what less than normal sleep times can do to the brain, right Stu?....:eek:

hide-1.gif

:rofl:

One other tidbit for you Alfredo....

As you know, the Spanish verb hacer can be translated as either "make" or "do" in English, depending on the usage. In the case of the thread title, an American would normally say "Does it make sense?" or even "Does this make sense?" Using tener (to have) "makes" more sense to me, actually....

I'd say you're doing wonderfully well with your English. :thumb: I'd hate to be tested on my long-unused Spanish or Italian! :eek:

Last edited:
One more from Doug's post....

"The prototype uses the output data of the MM5 model and historic databases. (change to:historical databases.)

We know what less than normal sleep times can do to the brain, right Stu?....:eek:

hide-1.gif

:rofl:
Yeppers, agreed on all points. I made the change to my earlier version. ;)

You're pretty good at this sidechecking thing. You wanna go over the 28 or so pages of user interface (UI) text I just completed for our new network disk performance analysis utility? :rofl:

I also agree with all the comments about Alfredo's English skills. Alfredo writes better than the majority of folks for whom English is their only language. (I only know enough Spanish to get myself into a fight.) :p Very well done, Señor Garcia. :thumb:

I also agree with all the comments about Alfredo's English skills. Alfredo writes better than the majority of folks for whom English is their only language. (I only know enough Spanish to get myself into a fight.) :p Very well done, Señor Garcia. :thumb:

:clap::clap: Ditto on that!

Every time I come back from another few years living in Japan, I feel like I can speak just enough English again to get myself into trouble...but not enough to get myself out! :eek: :doh:

Thanks for the offer, Vaughn, but I'm afraid I'd add too much of an "Asian flare" to your instructions...anarysis utirity? :rofl:

New rule: if you don't know enough Spanish to order a beer or tell the gardener not to blow-dry the dog with his leaf blower, you can't live in Southern California. :thumb:
Those are the phrases that get me into the fights. Try to keep up, Lee. :rofl:

I do like the image of our gardeners trying to blow dry one of the dogs. Our dogs think strange men pushing lawnmowers are the most dangerous creatures on the planet, and they make sure I know it every week. They just bark at mailmen and UPS drivers, but they go psycho over the gardeners, though.

I'm too dumb to chime in on the English Language thing, but I found the article interesting.

I think that would be a big boost to any wind energy producer, even small scale ones like my Uncle. If we could forecast the winds potential, by having hybrid systems in place (grid/home power) we could switch which system powers our home.

Take my home for instance. Right now it is propane powered, because propane is cheap and grid electricity is some of the most expensive in the country. If I had a hybrid system with a windmill, if I knew the winds would be powerful enough for several days, I could switch over to say electric heat, let my windmill heat my home, and then before the winds died down, revert back to propane and live as I do now, but with much less dependency on propane. That would save me money...maybe enough to make the dual-system worth while.

As my Uncle found out, windmills as they exist today are terrible in regards to their pay-back. He is looking at 12 years. But if we could devise a system that predicted power winds, we could devise controllers that took advantage of when those power winds were present, and when they would leave, and modulate back and forth to gain the most from the windmill. That would give a homeowner the best bang for the buck.