Thread: Home made hollowing tool for mini lathes

Home made hollowing tool for mini lathes

A friend of mine on another turning forum his fellow club member made his own hollowing tool for mini lathes. I thought you guys would be interested.

Chuck

Pretty nice tool for a mini. Check it out

http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/dece...steelsnake.pdf

Back when I was in School Learning to be somebody... I had to grind HS Tool bits to make different bits for different Lathe tools. (Machine Lathe) So, I found these bits (a box full) and I am thinking that they would work well with wood but I need a bit holder type of Lathe tool. got any idea of how to use these 5/16" and 1/4" bits? I bet they will do a great job of wood removal if they can be presented to the cutting zone....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    got any idea of how to use these 5/16" and 1/4" bits?
    Do the bits look anything like the business end of [these Ellsworth tools]?

They look like the ends of these tools. My problem is devising a tool holder to hold these bits in place.

Can we safely assume that drilling holes in 9/16" drill rod isn't an option for you?

Looks great Chuck, thanks for passing that on, it really is not hard to build some tools for the lathe.

I wonder how smooth it is to use, I'd think that bearings would make it smoother, but maybe what he has is good enough.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    They look like the ends of these tools. My problem is devising a tool holder to hold these bits in place.
    OK ... how about these ideas from David Springett's Adventures in Woodturning?

From the chapter on making a "Sovereign Sphere":

An alternate jig, from the chapter on making a "Lotus Blossom Bowl":

For you British types: What's a "rawlplug"? Sounds like an anchor of some kind.
    Last edited by Kerry Burton; 01-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Stu,
    I know a bunch of members here do welding I have never welded myself so it's a moot point for me. I'm sure you can adapt the plans to fit just about any lathe.

Chuck

Because of all the customized work we do building those boats at work, we often have to make our own tools..lathe included. Its pretty easy. Just have some shim stock available, some wild and crazy "outside the box" ideas and you can make almost any tool. Its really easy on the lathe because its the part that does all the turning, the fixture stays...well mostly fixed.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Kerry, A rawlplug is a type of anchor,(www.rawlplug.co.uk) you can find more information at this site.