Trisha and my big announcement...

Trisha’s Story…

Trisha was a special girl that had a very difficult life. When she was just 15 MONTHS old, her real parents abused her so bad, that the neighbor heard the commotion and called the police. When the Belfast police showed up, they found a 15 month old girl so badly beaten that she was not breathing. By doing CPR, they got her breathing and took her to the local hospital.

In the meantime the real parents snuck off, later deciding that the beating they gave the infant would get them into trouble. Sneaking in to the baby’s room, they stuffed her in a garbage bag and tied it shut, hoping to kill the baby. I guess a dead baby was somehow better then a beaten one…I don’t understand that, but then again, they were pretty sick parents. Well a nurse quickly discovered the bag and the child and got her breathing once again.

That was when Trisha entered my life. My parents, who took in foster children, got an emergency phone call. “Pick up this infant right now.” It was 8 pm on a Friday night.

Over the years Trisha had trouble even though she was legally adopted by my parents. It was discovered later that her real father had sexually abused her…prior to being 15 months old. Sick does not even begin to discuss such behavior. But then again the parents told the nurses that the child was “retarded” since she could not walk. While changing the crib sheets, a nurse put Trisha down and was astonished when she ran down the hallway. Now friends I could not wait for my daughter to learn how to walk. How in the world could you have a little girl that runs and not even know it is beyond comprehension…

Trisha did alright in school. No straight A’s or anything, and her teenage years were especially difficult. Still she got a job as a maid at the local motel and was making money and doing alright. In fact Trisha and my mom went shopping for a wedding dress the day before her accident. She was planning on getting married in the near future.

Trisha had been called in to work even though it was her day off. Fearing the tourist season was over, she was anxious to make money before the lay-off began. On her way home, she somehow left the road; hit a tree and was killed instantly. She was 19 years old.

Right behind her was a police officer; a good friend of the family. I think telling us she had died was as hard on us, as it was on him. We grew up riding snowmobiles and ATV’s and while I was too cool to be bothered with giving my sister a ride at that age, this kid, who later became a police officer, was not. He always gave her a ride before joining us on our snowmobile and ATV trips. No matter, a police officer had saved her life before, but apparently having a law enforcement officer save her a second time was just not in the cards…

It was kind of ironic too, because we later found out, Trisha was not going to get laid-off from her hotel cleaning job after all. She was a good worker, but also her heritage of being an American Indian/Hispanic meant the motel wanted to keep her on for the minority status.

So why do I bring this up…

Well my wife and I decided that we want to be foster parents. Now I know some may not agree with that, because Patty and I are far from perfect. We have made mistakes with Alyson, and have many more parenting mistakes to make in the future. But friends, make no mistake about it. Waldo county has an URGENT need for foster homes right now. Something like 65 kids with no homes to go to. That means kids are in homes they should not be in. Patty and I want to make sure the “Trisha’s” of this world have a home to go to. Every child deserves a safe home…

It never seizes to amaze me the horror and tragedy that people bring on their kids or kids in general. The news is full of tragic stories. Even today that sensless murder of that poor girl in Georgia and the 'honor killings' of those sisters in Texas. It all just defies logic.

Travis, it takes special people to do what you are about to entertain. LOML & I recently went through all the classes while trying to adopt a 16 year old girl who we felt desperately needed us. Best of luck and God Bless!:thumb:

Travis, Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you and your wife will make wonderful parents. The easyist thing to give is love. God Bless both of you and a very lucky child.

Good Luck Travis.

My sister is trying to adopt a baby that was born with drugs & alcohol in his system right now the courts are terminating the parents rights & she has a second one she may also try to adopt.

Travis.....If you haven't seen me post about my 2 oldest children...you will....My oldest son is a local deputy sheriff.....my daughter works for a major airlines....They were 3 and 2 when I first met them. I married their Mom and 2 years later I adopted them.

We had one more son by birth.....I have 3 chrildren

Sweat and tears are thicker than blood!

Recently I helped my daughter locate her biological father. He was as interested in a relationship today as he was 40 years ago. I'm still called "Daddy"......

There is no greater gift you can give a child than a home....filled with love.

Good luck to you and your wife.