Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	16521

And about a dozen screws later, here's what I found inside:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4025 800.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	16522

This was all sent to me by Mark Rios. He had seen a bowl I made out of a root ball, so when he happened across a couple root balls, he thought of me. He also knew that crotch wood can sometimes be cool-looking, so he included a chunk of that, too. He'll have to chime in and let us know what kinds of wood are here. (I'm sure he's told me, but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now.)

So, for a non-turner, that Mark Rios guy is alright.

Many thanks, Mark. I hope I can make some pieces out of this wood that are worthy of the work and expense you went to in sending it all to me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats on the wood. Can't wait to see what comes of it. That crotch piece ought to make a good looking winged bowl Vaughn.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey, SCORE, Vaughn.
    Mark must be really great guy!! Hey, Mark how do you like Canadians?

Congrats Vaughn! Can' wait to see what you turn out of it!
    Steve

Congrats Vaughn!
    Ken
    ------

Way to go Mark, nice get Vaughn!

Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

They want a real pretty penny for them here in Japan, just wondering if you thought they were any good?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yep nice score Vaughn.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

They want a real pretty penny for them here in Japan, just wondering if you thought they were any good?
    It's just a Hitachi cordless drill, isn't it? I've had the older style 12v for about 3 years now and it's just fine. The batteries still work great, and it drills fine and drives fine. I'm just a hobbiest though, so it doesn't exactly get constant workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

Cheers!
    It's my go-to drill. I also have a 19.2v Craftsman that I'm real happy with, but the 14v Hitachi is lighter and easier to handle, with plenty of power for my needs. I would buy another one. (In fact, I'm keeping my eyes open for a matching impact driver at a good price.)

Your question was more on topic than you might think too, since I bought the drill (and the matching flashlight) from none other than Mark Rios. Amazon had a very brief sale on the set last year, and by the time I tried to buy it, the price had gone back up. After mentioning it here, Mark sent me a PM telling me he'd bought two (since the price was so low), and he was willing to sell one of them to me. Not only do I use the drill a lot, we use the flashlight every night when we take the dogs out. Since it's rechargeable, we've saved a boatload on batteries. Dunno if they ship to Japan, but here;s the same set for a heck of a price:

http://www.tylertool.com/hitachi5.html

Thanks again Mark. I don't care WHAT the other guys say about you, you're alright.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    .........Thanks again Mark. I don't care WHAT the other guys say about you, you're alright.
    Well I'm hurt, I thought you took my opinion seriously.......

Yep, Mark is very helpful, he sent me some used saw blades and a good book to read!

Also, I just looked, they do NOT sell that exact drill here, slightly different number, but a 14.4V Hitachi drill here, street price (about 65% of book price) is right around $400......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward