Administrator
Staff member
This box showed up on my doorstep Thursday:

Wood from Mark 400 - 1.jpg

I got out the box opener...

DSC_4024 800.jpg

And about a dozen screws later, here's what I found inside:

DSC_4025 800.jpg

This was all sent to me by Mark Rios. He had seen a bowl I made out of a root ball, so when he happened across a couple root balls, he thought of me. He also knew that crotch wood can sometimes be cool-looking, so he included a chunk of that, too. He'll have to chime in and let us know what kinds of wood are here. (I'm sure he's told me, but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now.) ;)

So, for a non-turner, that Mark Rios guy is alright. :thumb:

Many thanks, Mark. :bow: I hope I can make some pieces out of this wood that are worthy of the work and expense you went to in sending it all to me.

Way to go Mark, nice get Vaughn!

Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

They want a real pretty penny for them here in Japan, just wondering if you thought they were any good?

Cheers!

Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

They want a real pretty penny for them here in Japan, just wondering if you thought they were any good?

:huh::huh: It's just a Hitachi cordless drill, isn't it? I've had the older style 12v for about 3 years now and it's just fine. The batteries still work great, and it drills fine and drives fine. I'm just a hobbiest though, so it doesn't exactly get constant workouts.

...Hey, off topic, but how do you like that box opener?

Cheers!
It's my go-to drill. I also have a 19.2v Craftsman that I'm real happy with, but the 14v Hitachi is lighter and easier to handle, with plenty of power for my needs. I would buy another one. (In fact, I'm keeping my eyes open for a matching impact driver at a good price.)

Your question was more on topic than you might think too, since I bought the drill (and the matching flashlight) from none other than Mark Rios. Amazon had a very brief sale on the set last year, and by the time I tried to buy it, the price had gone back up. After mentioning it here, Mark sent me a PM telling me he'd bought two (since the price was so low), and he was willing to sell one of them to me. Not only do I use the drill a lot, we use the flashlight every night when we take the dogs out. Since it's rechargeable, we've saved a boatload on batteries. Dunno if they ship to Japan, but here;s the same set for a heck of a price:

http://www.tylertool.com/hitachi5.html

Thanks again Mark. I don't care WHAT the other guys say about you, you're alright. :p

.........Thanks again Mark. I don't care WHAT the other guys say about you, you're alright. :p

Well I'm hurt, I thought you took my opinion seriously....... :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, Mark is very helpful, he sent me some used saw blades and a good book to read! :thumb:

Also, I just looked, they do NOT sell that exact drill here, slightly different number, but a 14.4V Hitachi drill here, street price (about 65% of book price) is right around $400...... :eek:

NICE. I need to get some friends like that! Side note--good to hear on the hitatchi. My second SET of dewalt 18v XRP batteries have completely died, and I'm not going back to them. Its a total conspiracy to pay $89 a battery. Plus, mine was a hammerdrill, so it wouldn't stand upright b/c the handle is all the way at the rear of the drill. PITA.

Interesting, with a name like Hitachi, I would have thought they were made in Japan, or at least a Japanese company... Just looked them up on the web and they're based in Atlanta, and several international countries, Hong Kong, India, Canada, etccc.... no office in Japan??

When I was still doing part-time work at Lowe's, they often had Hitachi sales promo's.. good pricing and bargains.. Hitachi built a table saw that had a hand crank to tilt the blade, with a dial that moved with the blade so you could see the angle of the tilt.. was a very nice saw..